ATX Community

NT - My summer addiction

Peggy Cobb

Beautiful creature! I can see it now, though. We'll all post our own fun things (I started to say addictions, then desire, then pleasures but thought better of it). Wait 'til you see me in my scuba gear!

Rifle season starts in April -- first match is Saturday the 25th. I'll see if I can dig up a picture of me on the line from last year. Got it -- I'm the one with the green jacket sort of in the right/middle. Don't think anyone would be interested in a picture of dirt from my garden, though!

Catherine

Very cute Corgi Peggy.

If you're interested in agility, I'm on a dog forum that has lots of people involved in agility, obedience, training, general dog care. We all enjoy seeing lots of pix & video too. The woman that owns the site is a canine nutritionist. Check it out after the work slows down, it's free with lots of helpful advice on health, nutrition, supplements, training, general topics too. It's a fun group, much like this forum, with very nice & helpful folks (and no flaming). Our Dogs Online can be found at http://www.ourdogsonline.com/ubbthreads.php/forum_summary

You can lurk without signing in, but must sign in to post or see all the forums. The General, Photo/Video and Non-Dog

topics are member only.

The moderator's main website for her nutrition area is at www.betterdogcare.com and has a lot of interesting information on dog food.

KC, I hope it's ok to post those links. If not, please just delete this post.

Rifle season starts in April -- first match is Saturday the 25th. I'll see if I can dig up a picture of me on the line from last year. Got it -- I'm the one with the green jacket sort of in the right/middle. Don't think anyone would be interested in a picture of dirt from my garden, though!

Catherine

Catherine, what kind/type of rifle is that? I tend to stick with .22's; also have tried Skeet Shooting. Remember when

I first tried Skeet....my right shoulder was sore for about a week!

Catherine, what kind/type of rifle is that? I tend to stick with .22's; also have tried Skeet Shooting. Remember when

I first tried Skeet....my right shoulder was sore for about a week!

Bet you had a nice bruise, too -- aka "recoil rash". Shotguns can sure kick hard, and those vests don't give much padding. But then, a bird hunter can be out for a whole day and only take two or four shots. WAY different from a trap or skeet set of, what is it, 20 in a row?

The rifle I shot in '07 was a Colt clone of an AR-15, a .223 caliber high-power target rifle. For last year, my husband got me as an anniversary gift (our anniversary is today, 4/1; he wanted a day he wouldn't forget) something called a "space gun" -- another .223 high-power target rifle. It's got the most _beautiful_ hard-anodized bright PURPLE barrel and stock. And it's adjustable seventeen ways to Sunday so it fits even short me (5' zero") perfectly. The Colt, even with an aftermarket short stock, was still a little long in the reach for me.

But Gwen (all the way to the right on the family picture) is just enough taller than I am that the Colt fits her perfectly. She decided, though, that rather than shoot on the team this year she wants another year of raking in the $$ for pulling/scoring targets. She was so happy last night, though -- in the local pistol team match, her score counted towards team total for the first time! And I think it was only her 5th or 6th match. She's already shooting, after just a few matches, as well as I did my first year in college. We're proud of her. She may make it to the National Championships on of these days. I did my senior year, 1980 -- they were also the Olympic try-outs (the year we boycotted), and my biggest claim to fame.

Great thing about shooting -- you can keep it up long after most sports and keep getting better. It's all very Zen -- the competition is ultimately with yourself, to do everything as perfectly as possible every time. The black bulls-eye is about a foot across -- and at 200 yards through the sights looks like a pindot. Concentrate on the sights, breath control, steady trigger squeeze, ignore the mosquitos, or the cold, or the heat, or the ejected brass from the next point hitting you in the back - or the head, or your foot falling asleep. And do it again. And again. Twenty shots plus two sighters, standing in one spot, teams of 6, 2 1/2 hours for all six on each team to shoot in sets of two. Three matches every spring. We usually start in freezing cold (and snow!), and end frying in shorts under the heavy jackets.

Lots of fun!

Catherine

Catherine

My wife and I recently bought handguns and we are trying to schedule time at ranges for kind of a recurring "date". Sounds like a fun hobby, and something we can do together. I grew up in the sticks where most guys and many ladies hunted, and I miss the target practice mostly. Funny thing here in WI, there is a real shortage of ammo right now. There are lots of people hoarding it ever since last November. Gun sales have skyrocketed also.

You're so right about shooting...you compete against yourself and (hopefully) just

get better. My wife got me into it initially; maybe someday I'll be as good as her.

Where we live we have enough acreage to target practice there.

The former (as in retired) rifle team coach from when I was in college retired "more" and went down south; he tried real hard to sell us his place up in NH; 100-yard range out in back, airgun range in the basement, separate building with 440V, 3-phase service for a machine shop..... it was very tempting but too far from where my husband works.

My wife and I recently bought handguns and we are trying to schedule time at ranges for kind of a recurring "date". Sounds like a fun hobby, and something we can do together. I grew up in the sticks where most guys and many ladies hunted, and I miss the target practice mostly. Funny thing here in WI, there is a real shortage of ammo right now. There are lots of people hoarding it ever since last November. Gun sales have skyrocketed also.

My husband and I went to a clinic run by Brian Zins and Andy ??? (I'm SO bad with names) of the USMC; my averages skyrocketed afterwards. He now terms himself my "gun-bearer" and talks about someday being as good as I am in pistol (I think we just need to do that clinic again). I hope to someday be as good as him in rifle; it averages out. Gwen may surpass us both. Fiona's not that interested. She'll have fun if we drag her out with us, but doesn't volunteer to come. But it's great to have a shootin' buddy to go out with. Y'know, 33 feet clear sight lines in the basement and you can have an airgun point. We know some folks who do 5-shot matches after dinner to see who washes the dishes!

Catherine