ATX Community

Clients Dying

Teri2414

Is it just me or did many of my clients pass...now, hubby is usually good about recognizing names in obits - but this year it just seems to keep going on. I run a personal home office - it's hard to say 'sign here as surviving spouse'...especially when I didn't know it even happened

Several of mine have also, but their kids and grandkids help to fill the void. My practise has been so home-based and personal for so long that I usually end up attending the funerals of passed clients. Had one really "bad" one in Dec.; when a long-time 57 year old client had a stroke. He was not only a client; but first a neighbor and a friend.

I've had a lot pass away within the year. One ot the worst things for me is so many of my clients are failing mentally and it is presenting huge challenges and a lot of extra time and work on my part. I can see that I am really going to have to take a look at my workload next year and try to not take on additional clients so that I don't collapse myself. This has been my worst tax year ever (for a lot of different reasons) and it has become very difficult for me to even want to do this anymore. I just hope that I will feel differently after April 15.

Bonnie

Yes, here too. Several clients passed, a husband of long-time client/friends now in an alzheimer's unit, another elderly lady failing fast both mentally & physically. It's very sad talking with these people. One older lady keeps talking about her recently deceased husband as if he's still here.

As sad as it is when clients pass on, what was more disturbing to me _last_ year was the number of new clients that I got because their prior _preparers_ had passed on suddenly. In fact, I got another one this year -- prior preparer just keeled over about a month or so ago. Lots of clients then have either time delays or more serious trouble just getting their original documents back.

So take care of yourselves, everyone -- we owe it to ourselves, our families, _and_ our clents!

Catherine

Last April 17th I had a physical breakdown. My mom (87 at the time) had a bad car accident and totaled her car but luckily did not break any bones. To shorten the story I was going into my office at four in the morning, visiting her at the hospital and then at the rehab center and then going back to work and then home. The body on April 17th said enough was enough and I spent 3 days in ICU and six weeks in the hospital as well as four weeks in rehab. I came out 60 pounds lighter and have some kidney problems so I watch my sodium intake and even gave up drinking to nurse my kidney. My mom since has deteriorated into dementia and I had to arrange for Hospice this past week as she has lost 20 pounds over the last two weeks. It is only a matter of time now but I am handling it well. I have learned the hard way that nothing is as important as your health and your loved ones. We tend to worry too much about our clients and forget to take care of ourselves. I'll be 65 this August and intend to stay on this side of the turf for some time to come.

taxbilly

Good for you Taxbilly....I went through five tax seasons as a caregiver for my parents as they went from late 80s to early 90s before they passed a year apart from each other; one at 92 and one at 90. So, I understand what you were going through last year and are going through now with the visiting, picking up pills, taking care of their very important needs while trying to run a business and concentrate on difficult tax law. Somehow, my parents always came first and, though I don't know how I did it, I will be forever grateful for the time that I gave to them. I am sure everyone on this board has a similar story to ours with a loved one or dear friend. It makes us stronger people and more compassionate to some of the situations that our clients are in, especially this year. Keep that good thought. I plan on sticking around for a while as well.

Good for you Taxbilly....I went through five tax seasons as a caregiver for my parents as they went from late 80s to early 90s before they passed a year apart from each other; one at 92 and one at 90. So, I understand what you were going through last year and are going through now with the visiting, picking up pills, taking care of their very important needs while trying to run a business and concentrate on difficult tax law. Somehow, my parents always came first and, though I don't know how I did it, I will be forever grateful for the time that I gave to them. I am sure everyone on this board has a similar story to ours with a loved one or dear friend. It makes us stronger people and more compassionate to some of the situations that our clients are in, especially this year. Keep that good thought. I plan on sticking around for a while as well.

I hear you - i wonder myself sometimes...my parents died in their 40's (I have beaten my Dad) and then my baby sister (okay 33 yrs) died falling down stairs and trying to raise 3 kids on a second marriage - sometimes I just warn everyone to block their ears and I SCREAM!!

Taxbilly, thanks for the important reminder. I am totally stressed over these clients. I need to step back & look at the bigger picture of what's really important in my life.

I too was a cargiver: 6 years ago my husband was going through treatment for stage 3 cancer during a nightmarish tax season. Later that year, he was barely back to work & my mom fell and broke her femur & elbow on the same side of the body. The femur was so badly broken, even with a rod in place, she had to go for a 3 month say at a nursing home & was on complete bedrest for 6 weeks of that. All this while, I was also taking care of my dad, still alive at that time, but had many physical limitations & parkinson's. My dad has since passed, but thankfully my husband and mom made full recoveries and are still with me.

As we get older, which most of us do each year, our clients get older too. So the time comes when it is part of the standard good business practice to read the obits every day and have the flower shop on speed dial. But I try not to make it too much of a big deal, because it's a step we will all take one day. And I do believe that the next step will be a step up to something better.

We all do need to take care of our own health, too. And I firmly believe that as we age, we need to fire at least 3 PITA clients every year, just for the physic lift it gives us. Replace them with some nice young client who will listen to you and not give you a lot of stress, and your business will benefit and so will your spirits.

Tax season is hectic on everyone. I am working 2 part time jobs while working full time doing taxes and taking care of my 4 year old daughter by myself right now. At night, she comes first and I quit at quitting time. If people don't like it or get their taxes later than then like - too bad - take them somewhere else or do them themselves. Life is too short to worry about taxes. They will be here next year too. I like my job, but I love my family. They are first priority and clients are going to understand that or go somewhere else:)

Sara

I turned down a prospective PITA client last week and the "lift" has me walking on air for two days. This guy has been telling me for three years that he was bringing his taxes to me. His wife has a daycare. This year he finally calls for an appt at the end of March. I told him that I wasn't accepting new clients, particularly clients with businesses. He said, "Not even for a friend?" (I have no idea how he got to be my friend.) I said, "No" and have been happy ever since, because I found out that his former preparer quit doing tax returns.; so now I finally was good enough.