ATX Community

Wages to Children from Sched C Parent

joelgilb

They better still be or I am in trouble. Hired my kids as sign wavers this year in front of my office. No crazy costumes, just a big sign. They were so excited to get a job, until after the first 15 minutes. Then they started asking when they got the first break. It is a good thing they are exempt from child labor laws also, or I would be in a world of hurt for making them work 55 minutes of every hour.

Tom

Lodi, CA

They better still be or I am in trouble. Hired my kids as sign wavers this year in front of my office. No crazy costumes, just a big sign. They were so excited to get a job, until after the first 15 minutes. Then they started asking when they got the first break. It is a good thing they are exempt from child labor laws also, or I would be in a world of hurt for making them work 55 minutes of every hour.

Tom

Lodi, CA

LOL. Gotta love those kids! Mine are about like yours! BUT, Tues we had snow, and mine were out of school. 17-year-old daughter brought me lunch, put up about a million files (or 75), and swept the office. Has not asked for ANYTHING, and I heard no bad reports from other moms. WOW!!!

My first job when I was 13 years old was copying tax returns for my mom's business. I progressed to checking returns, then filling them out, then teaching the training course in the fall before I was 18 and left for college. And here I am today - still in the same insane business that I swore I was getting out of back then.

My 16-year-old does all my document scanning for me. She does a GREAT job, too. I pay her well for the work and get every penny's worth and more.

Catherine

That's money well spent! I secretly wish one of mine would decide they want to be an accountant and work with me. But, then, I think about how most of these family things work out, and think, nah!

That's money well spent! I secretly wish one of mine would decide they want to be an accountant and work with me. But, then, I think about how most of these family things work out, and think, nah!

I hope for better for my boys. All I can give them is a christian home, a strong work ethic, and hopefully a few dollars for college. The rest is up to them. If they really want to come back to the business, that would be OK, but I would hope they will pursue their own dreams and ambitions.

They hate the fact that I hand their paychecks to their mother, she shows it to them, and then the entire check goes straight to the bank to fund their Roth IRA's. Since they will have had the Roth's for over 5 years when they get to college, they can use the money then. They may not like it right now, but hopefully some day they will look back and appreciate that the money was not wasted on video games, junk food, and movies.

Tom

Lodi, CA

I hope for better for my boys. All I can give them is a christian home, a strong work ethic, and hopefully a few dollars for college. The rest is up to them. If they really want to come back to the business, that would be OK, but I would hope they will pursue their own dreams and ambitions.

They hate the fact that I hand their paychecks to their mother, she shows it to them, and then the entire check goes straight to the bank to fund their Roth IRA's. Since they will have had the Roth's for over 5 years when they get to college, they can use the money then. They may not like it right now, but hopefully some day they will look back and appreciate that the money was not wasted on video games, junk food, and movies.

Tom

Lodi, CA

Sounds to me like you have it exactly right, Tom! One of my favorite preachers always says, "You can't give your kids what you want them to have. You can only give them what YOU have." Christian home, strong work ethic, a few dollars for college - your kids have been raised well. They'll do great. I pray that mine are learning the same things.

P. S. Mine have ROTH IRA's, too. I wish I had known the value of time when I was 16 years old. A while back, I sat with my 21-year-old at the computer, showing him what saving $100 a month would look like at age 65. The look on his face said it all. He said, "Whoa. Anybody can save $100 a month, Mom."