ATX Community

To Renew or Not to Renew

carolynm

I'm betwixt and between on whether I should renew with ATX or not.

I'm very perturbed with their actions from last year ie yanking our bulletin board without notice. I also am very tired of so many updates. I've had a lot of odd issues over the years with ATX but have been able to work through them (but time is money is it not?). I cannot say that I've not had to amend a return due to program issues. Where does this leave me?

I prepare approximately 100 personal returns, 10 1065's , 10 1120's. I also prepare state returns for many states. I used ATX's W2 and 1099 efile system last year and did like it (though again they changed something which really messed me up and that was the way files are imported from Peachtree).

I use ATX to prepare 941, 940, 943's and the various state payroll forms. Occassionally I'll access a state franchise or sales tax form via ATX.

So what are my options?

I tried intellitax by Orrtax one year and had terrible problems but that was mostly due to their delivery of all updates via internet when at that time I did not high speed access available to me. I downloaded their demo just last week..but the file was corrupt when I went to open it...that does not bode well to me. Though the program for $295 gosh that is tempting (through TAx Refund Express)

TAxAct has always intrigued me. It looks like a solid enough program and may be my choice. I don't think I've read of any complete foul ups with it. It does bother me however to go with a company that markets to individuals not just tax professionals.

And for the payroll solutions -what would be the best option there? I don't do a ton of these filings. I do about 10 W2/W3 reports a year, and have 2 clients I regularily complete 941's for during the year as well as the corresponding state report.

Curious what you all think is best? Do you think ATX will be around in a few more years? Will support dwindle?

Thanks

Carolyn

Perplexed in Texas!

We all worry about the future, but for now ATX is still the best all-around option IMHO. That could change, if TaxWise ends up pushing out ATX, as is a possibility. But buying one program that lets you do all those things sure beats having to deal with multiple programs, in my book. ATX lets me easily handle those clients who come in wanting to start a new business, as it has all the forms to apply for sales tax number, all the employment related forms, even the I9, and most state forms as well. Nothing I have seen works so well for my office. I'll stick with it at least for one more year.

We all worry about the future, but for now ATX is still the best all-around option IMHO. That could change, if TaxWise ends up pushing out ATX, as is a possibility. But buying one program that lets you do all those things sure beats having to deal with multiple programs, in my book. ATX lets me easily handle those clients who come in wanting to start a new business, as it has all the forms to apply for sales tax number, all the employment related forms, even the I9, and most state forms as well. Nothing I have seen works so well for my office. I'll stick with it at least for one more year.

KC,

I agree with you about ATX for now. I'm concerned about them in the future, though. I hope CCH/TaxWise/ATX or whatever name they may be called will keep people like us in mind when they decide about future plans. I,too, am sticking with ATX for the 2008 tax filing season and will wait to see what happens after that. I've not yet renewed, but the year is not over by any means.

Wayne

I like ATX because I do a little of this and little of that and ATX Max handles it all. It would not be feasable for me to buy separate programs for all the things ATX will do and I will quit before I go back to manually preparing reports. I just hope that ATX stays around and stays affordable. If it doesn't, it will be time for me to quit.

Gene

I do abnout 100 1040's and 1 1065, and have looked at other programs. I have come to the conclusion that ATX MAX will come out just as cheap as getting a cheaper program and pay for all the E-Filing separate. Also I would have to get a program to do the 1065.

Also I would have to get all my data converted and I know that all the data will not get converted, only the basic fields.

Also I am used to ATX having used it for around 10 years.

I imagine that if enough people resign with ATX that CCH would have to keep it going. As for the price all programs get more expensive every year.

I'm very perturbed with their actions from last year ie yanking our bulletin board without notice. I also am very tired of so many updates. I've had a lot of odd issues over the years with ATX but have been able to work through them (but time is money is it not?). I cannot say that I've not had to amend a return due to program issues. Where does this leave me?

I prepare approximately 100 personal returns, 10 1065's , 10 1120's. I also prepare state returns for many states. I used ATX's W2 and 1099 efile system last year and did like it (though again they changed something which really messed me up and that was the way files are imported from Peachtree).

I use ATX to prepare 941, 940, 943's and the various state payroll forms. Occassionally I'll access a state franchise or sales tax form via ATX.

So what are my options?

I tried intellitax by Orrtax one year and had terrible problems but that was mostly due to their delivery of all updates via internet when at that time I did not high speed access available to me. I downloaded their demo just last week..but the file was corrupt when I went to open it...that does not bode well to me. Though the program for $295 gosh that is tempting (through TAx Refund Express)

TAxAct has always intrigued me. It looks like a solid enough program and may be my choice. I don't think I've read of any complete foul ups with it. It does bother me however to go with a company that markets to individuals not just tax professionals.

And for the payroll solutions -what would be the best option there? I don't do a ton of these filings. I do about 10 W2/W3 reports a year, and have 2 clients I regularily complete 941's for during the year as well as the corresponding state report.

Curious what you all think is best? Do you think ATX will be around in a few more years? Will support dwindle?

Thanks

Carolyn

Perplexed in Texas!

I would strongly recommend TaxAct if you did not have to prepare any Texas Franchise tax returns or returns for states which TaxAct does not support.

I gave up on ATX after they dropped the message board and were gobbled up by a larger company that has bigger fish to fry than the ATX-type customer. I was also alienated by their constant updates which often caused an efile that had been acceptable a few days earlier to be rejected when submitted.

I am switching to Drake. The only thing I don't like so far with Drake is that you have to get a TCC to efile 1099s and you have to enter seller-financed mortgage interest income on one single line as if it were from a 1099INT.

There are also a few getting-used-to-it problems that are involved in making the changeover.

I would strongly recommend TaxAct if you did not have to prepare any Texas Franchise tax returns or returns for states which TaxAct does not support.

I gave up on ATX after they dropped the message board and were gobbled up by a larger company that has bigger fish to fry than the ATX-type customer. I was also alienated by their constant updates which often caused an efile that had been acceptable a few days earlier to be rejected when submitted.

I am switching to Drake. The only thing I don't like so far with Drake is that you have to get a TCC to efile 1099s and you have to enter seller-financed mortgage interest income on one single line as if it were from a 1099INT.

There are also a few getting-used-to-it problems that are involved in making the changeover.

taxxcpa,

I, on the other hand, have appreciated the fact that when ATX saw that the program or a form could be made more efficient they would update it. I don't e-file so that was not a factor as it was for you.

Wayne

Thanks

Carolyn

Perplexed in Texas!

If your biggest concern is payroll and payroll forms, take a look at Medlin for $45. You can try it free by downloading from www.medlin.com. I use it in addition to Max to prepare payroll and reports for small businesses. And, even though I have renewed Max, I will also renew Medlin Payroll.

I I was also alienated by their constant updates which often caused an efile that had been acceptable a few days earlier to be rejected when submitted.

Well, I have always thought it was just basic good policy to always update every day, and to always review any return before efiling it, just in case, so I've never had a problem with getting them rejected for that reason. I personally like that ATX keeps on refining and improving the forms and the program, right through the season. I know that bugs some people, but to me it just seems like it shows that they were giving us their very best. And often those changes were due to input from us, the users, about how something could be improved. My previous program, which cost almost 4 times what MAX cost, never paid a bit of attention to user input until the end of season, if then.

Well, I have always thought it was just basic good policy to always update every day, and to always review any return before efiling it, just in case, so I've never had a problem with getting them rejected for that reason. I personally like that ATX keeps on refining and improving the forms and the program, right through the season. I know that bugs some people, but to me it just seems like it shows that they were giving us their very best. And often those changes were due to input from us, the users, about how something could be improved. My previous program, which cost almost 4 times what MAX cost, never paid a bit of attention to user input until the end of season, if then.

I would first attempt to efile it without entering the date to make sure the only error was absence of the date. Then I often had to wait a few days before the signed copy of the Form 8879 was returned to me and would then enter the date and efile it. Sometimes it got rejected because of an update in the interim. Since I paper-file the majority of the tax returns I did not do daily updates since the updates have little or nothing to do with the accuracy of the return--only with efiling. If the updates really improved the forms how could forms before the update be accurate? Either there was something wrong earlier or the update was of little or no value.

When I used Intuit, I believe their updates were automatic and done in the middle of the night while I was asleep.

Aside from your claim that the updates were a form of improving something, I would agree--if you are going to efile with ATX you should update daily and ATX is a lot less expensive than some of the other programs. ATX had a lot of advantages and was very customer-oriented up to last year. I anticipate that they will be even less helpful in the future. Without the message board, customers lose all the benefits of William Tasker's comments in response to message board questions.

Fortunately, you will still be around on this message board, so, despite ATX's inaccessability, most user questions will still be answered by you and others on this message board.

I'm seriously considering renewing but the company just royally ticks me off. WHY do they advertise one price and then when you click on the website you find a $39 fee added on to process the order? What does it really cost them for me to download the software that they couldn't include in the pricing? Pathetic. I could understand charging more if I wanted a disk and physical copy of all documentation but if I request an electronic version it shouldn't be the same fee.

Stuff like that just really ticks me off.

I tried to register back when these fees were waived and the service person couldn't process my order. Then when I wanted to pay via check he told me the incorrect procedure. When he apologized he again gave me wrong information. Not exactly the type of service that drives me to want to use their product.

• 4 weeks later...

I almost changed to Drake this year also. I got the program and had my files converted but when I started going through all the files to make sure everything converted properly, I found I had to manually enter quite a bit of information so I got cold feet and decided to stay with ATX for another year. I really liked Drake and would be interested in hearing how it works for you.

So what are my options?

Thanks

Carolyn

Perplexed in Texas!

Carolyn,

I just renewed with ATX after checking about 6 other programs including those you mentioned. I have a lot more returns to do than you do, however for the buck, ATX was the best out there. I think they will be around for awhile longer, and with their zillion forms, I can do any state and any return. I didn't like what happened last year either, but dollar for dollar, they still get my vote.

Steve