ATX Community

Health Insurance Deduct off Standard

joans

I have been getting a lot of people asking about deducting health insurance premiums from their Standard Deduction. As far as I know it is just property taxes if they don' itemize ($500 & $1000 respectively). Am I missing something or are they just misinformed? Please let me know. Thanks.

Sara

I have been getting a lot of people asking about deducting health insurance premiums from their Standard Deduction. As far as I know it is just property taxes if they don' itemize ($500 & $1000 respectively). Am I missing something or are they just misinformed? Please let me know. Thanks.

Sara

You are correct. It is just property tax. However, self employed people can take a deduction for Health Insurance on Page one Line 29 of 1040. That might be what they are thinking of. But, this does not apply if the spouse has insurance at work.

That's what I have been telling people, but one client said he talked to a buddy of his who had just come from his "tax preparer" who said he could:) Man, I love it when people talk to people and totally confuse the process:) Thanks for the feedback everyone. 2 more days!!!!!!

Sara