ATX Community

TRX Called Me

Dan

Some of you have mentioned that you would stay with ATX at the $699 price because of the Express Answers book and other things excluded. I checked in the NATP Tax Store for the 2008 tax season and Quickfinder was $40 for members, $50, non-members, Express Answers, $45 and $57, Tax Book Fast Answers, $41 and $51 and Tax Book Deluxe $65 and $81. For me, paying $299 plus the cost of the book of my choice, is a lot better deal. After I add in the cost of my e-filing, approximately $500, $299 with free e-file sure looks good.

AnnieR

Some of you have mentioned that you would stay with ATX at the $699 price because of the Express Answers book and other things excluded. I checked in the NATP Tax Store for the 2008 tax season and Quickfinder was $40 for members, $50, non-members, Express Answers, $45 and $57, Tax Book Fast Answers, $41 and $51 and Tax Book Deluxe $65 and $81. For me, paying $299 plus the cost of the book of my choice, is a lot better deal. After I add in the cost of my e-filing, approximately $500, $299 with free e-file sure looks good.

AnnieR

....and TRX has that secret sauce!....yummy

AnnieR

The $699.00 has a lot more than these few books and many of us do need and use the other features. I for one want the full research capability of Kleinrock as well as 1099's, W-2's, payroll, and the ability to efile business returns.

Trial balance is an extra that is of use to me but limited and I think the ATX Document Manager isn't worth the paper it is printed on and it is not on paper (if you get my drift)

Speaking of which has anyone seen a reasonably priced "Good" and "True" document manager. The only decent ones I see cost several thousand and are actually overkill for me.

hmm maybe this is what I put my savings towards

Joel, have you looked at ArkWorks? I don't know what you want a document manager to do, but we bought this one last year, and so far I am pleased with the software. It organizes documents in a filing cabinet type of arrangement and comes with a template for tax preparers but can be modified for other lines of business too (we do some real estate management, and it works for leases, etc.) My favorite feature that it had and other comparably priced did not was the ability to create a PDF document and password protect it for emailing. They were also super to deal with in terms of helping us get set up and started.

Joel, have you looked at ArkWorks? I don't know what you want a document manager to do, but we bought this one last year, and so far I am pleased with the software. It organizes documents in a filing cabinet type of arrangement and comes with a template for tax preparers but can be modified for other lines of business too (we do some real estate management, and it works for leases, etc.) My favorite feature that it had and other comparably priced did not was the ability to create a PDF document and password protect it for emailing. They were also super to deal with in terms of helping us get set up and started.

Important for me to have OCR ability, so I can batch scan my documents and then use the doc mgt software to search file names and inside the files for specific text. Not even concerned if it requires me to have separate OCR software, so long as it will integrate and control the ocr scanning process

Isn't ArkWorks part of Block's software along with TaxWorks? You can imagine how the support will trend.

From ArkWorks Website:

"ArkWorks was developed by RedGear Technologies, the makers of TaxWorks – Professional Tax Software. ArkWorks was released in October of 2005 as a premium Document Management solution."

And (Red Gear) TaxWorks Software was purchased by Block in February 2007.

http://www.taxworks.com/spring_2007.aspx