ATX Community

TRX Called Me

Dan

I received a call last evening. I was not home, but did not reply to the message. I talked to an ATX sales rep this AM about the situation. Am still weighing my options., but have pretty much decided which way I will go.

Pros and cons? Come on Marilyn share with us :-)

Eli

I am on the fence still about this situation. Dan, may I ask why you did not renew with TRX? Is it a loyalty thing to support the original seller? I kind of feel that tug and do have some qualms about a reseller despite the assurances here by so many others who have made the switch. I also look at a $400 savings in relation to my very small practice and the current economy. I noticed a few folks that did not return this year and wonder if that was a factor.

mcb39, did you discuss the price differential with ATX? I thought of making that call but think that any discount beyond the 10% is not likely to happen.

I wish there was a perfect guaranteed solution and I knew what it was!

I wish there was a perfect guaranteed solution too. However, in the real world, that is usually not the case. I called ATX to hear their side of the story. I am also leaning in their direction because I feel that same "tug" as you do Margaret. I have not committed to them yet. They seemed surprised to hear that TRX was contacting us personally. The polite young man that I talked to said that they sell the program to TRX at the same price that they sell it to us. What TRX does after that they claim to not have control over or privy to. They claim to not have access to the contract that TRX will have you commit to. He told me that those who renew through TRX will have to use TRX for support. That is not an issue with me as I have only called support a handful of times in all the years that I have been with them. I rely on this board and my own research for support.

Eli, one of the big pros for me is that ATX is offering "paper" support in the form of CCH 1040 Express Answers and also this year US Master Tax Guide (Kleinrock Edition). Many of you don't care about that, either, but I DO. Yes, $400 is a lot of money and I am also a sole proprietor, one person office. But, my gut feeling is leaning me toward ATX, and as I told their rep, since I am the one writing the check, I will take my time and explore all options before deciding.

I expect many negative responses to this post, which is why I have been careful not to say too much. However, since Eli and Margaret have asked, here is my answer, for what its worth. :unsure:

I'm sure that I will stay with ATX. My quote from ATX for TTO is $1,624.50. I'm assuming that package is not what TRX is offering. I've been very happy with ATX and when I've needed support, I've been very happy. I remember years ago when Thomas Shaw spent four hours with me helping me reinstall Windows and ATX. I've never forgotten that. I know that things changed when CCH bought them, but unfortunately, that's the way of the world. I don't like a lot of things that they have done, but their software is a very good fit for my one person practice.

Bonnie

I'm sure that I will stay with ATX. My quote from ATX for TTO is $1,624.50. I'm assuming that package is not what TRX is offering. I've been very happy with ATX and when I've needed support, I've been very happy. I remember years ago when Thomas Shaw spent four hours with me helping me reinstall Windows and ATX. I've never forgotten that. I know that things changed when CCH bought them, but unfortunately, that's the way of the world. I don't like a lot of things that they have done, but their software is a very good fit for my one person practice.

Bonnie

Bonnie,

As I understand it, Total Tax Office is what TRX is offering to supply to anyone who pays the $699 plus shipping of $29.95.

Wayne Brasch

Bonnie, I, too, remember great support in prior years including from Thomas Shaw, too. I used to keep his and William's direct line on my card to call. This year's support has improved and, like you, I don't need it much anymore. And this board is such a great resource!

I just got a call from Pearl from ATX to renew. I expressed my concerns about the price difference. She seemed clueless about TRX and about this forum. I give her some credit, though. She agreed that the price variance was not insignificant but wondered if the program and support were truly the same. I told her I was still weighing options but took her number.

Marilyn, I am surprised that ATX would sell the program to TRX at a price $400 or so more than TRX would sell to us. From TRX perspective, I wonder how Buy High, Sell Low can possibly be a good thing! I am a 10 year vet of ATX, maybe 11 - since Parsons was bought out in 1996 or '97. It's been a great program for me. That tug may very well be stronger than the lower price. Decisions, decisions....

I received a call from TRX a few days ago and decided to purchase the $699 program for 2009. I had received a renewal notice from ATX in the amount of $2.668.10 after the 10%discount. I have used the network version and have some other bells and whistles as well.

I feel the that in these economic times, that the risk is worth the reward.

We'll see.

Mike Dubin CPA

I, too, have a very small practice. I use the PRS version and have been able to buy any additional returns at a fairly good price. My total outlay and the ability to prepare 1040,1041, 1065 and 1120's, still costs me less than Max at around $1100. The only hang up I have with TRX and the $299 version, which I probably will buy, is the no efiling of "business" returns. I can live with that, even though they are my money makers. The main push ATX gave me towards TRX, was the email to renew and the statement:

"It hasn't been easy. The state of the economy has put pressure on everyone, and made even the most routine business challenges much more difficult. We know that...and we certainly don't want to add to your problems. So we're holding the line on pricing, with no price increases for the 2009 tax year program."

Even with the 10% early discount, my initial cost went up almost $40.00

Eli, one of the big pros for me is that ATX is offering "paper" support in the form of CCH 1040 Express Answers and also this year US Master Tax Guide (Kleinrock Edition). Many of you don't care about that, either, but I DO. Yes, $400 is a lot of money and I am also a sole proprietor, one person office. But, my gut feeling is leaning me toward ATX, and as I told their rep, since I am the one writing the check, I will take my time and explore all options before deciding.

I expect many negative responses to this post, which is why I have been careful not to say too much. However, since Eli and Margaret have asked, here is my answer, for what its worth. :unsure:

Thanks for responding. It always helps to get anothers perspective on things. Thats what this board is all about.

Thanks again!

Eli

Hello all!!

I'm not sure if all here have had the opportunity to check the thread I started called "TRX now offering ATX". There is great information about us and our offering ATX (The EXACT SAME ATX some will knowingly pay substantially for). We do live in a free market society so your money is your money to spend where and how you choose. TRX was formed to be a solution to tax software companies constantly raising prices, seemingly trying to price out the sole proprietor tax prepares out there.

I'll try and address as many of the questions above as I can.

mcb39: The sales representative you talked to gave you incorrect information. We do not buy the ATX software at the same price there general sales department sells it for. We actually never deal with there sales channel, because we are in there Premier Accounts Division. I honestly don't know how much information there sales representatives have about us but it's been my experience they like to stretch the truth. I can empathize with them, having been in sales for many years, when there's another product out there that's better then what I'm offering, as a sales person, I have to try to discredit it. Unfortunately for the ATX sales team we are offering EXACTLY what they're offering for a much much better price. They in deed have a tough sale.

Although our two sales teams are essentially competing for sales the bottom line is we're both benefiting CCH and bringing clients, new and old, to ATX. We have an ongoing contract with CCH and are a conduit for ATX software rather then just a reseller.

NECPA & Wayne: Our $699 package is the Total Tax Office

I am 100% available for any and all questions. It is what I'm here for! You can email or call me; my contact information is below.

As I understand it, ATX is the company that produces the software. If we buy that product from another buyer, how does that help ATX to produce such good product. I would also rather talk to a ATX tech than one that just sells this product. Teck support as well as this good board is very important to me. I guess when you have a good product everyone wants to get a piece of it.

As I understand it, ATX is the company that produces the software. If we buy that product from another buyer, how does that help ATX to produce such good product. I would also rather talk to a ATX tech than one that just sells this product. Teck support as well as this good board is very important to me. I guess when you have a good product everyone wants to get a piece of it.

Dan,

I understand where you're coming from and how you feel more confident in dealing direct than with a third party. 9 times out of 10 I'd say dealing direct is the best route to go. TRX is the exception though; we are that 1 of 10. All I can say is one testimonial is better than four sales pitches. There are great testimonials of TRX's tech support on the "TRX now offering ATX" thread. Page 4 has most of them I'm pretty sure.

We don't only sell ATX Dan, we support it. We do marketing, tech, and tax support. This is how ATX still benefits from us selling their software. ATX obviously benefits more when we draw new clients to the software, but our deals extend to existing ATXers too. So why not benefit the same as the next preparer?!

In the 2 yrs that I have been with TRX, I have found their Tech Support to be even better than what I received frm ATX over the 5 yrs I was with them alone. I had the opportunity to use the TTO this year, even though it is way more than I need. It was, at least, equal to the 1040 Tax Ofc pkg that I had for 2 yrs from ATX. Someone mentioned they would rather have the 1040 Express and MTG, you could even buy them separately in print version and save many more dollars with the TRX pkg, it just happened that I received them with the TTO pkg this year. Although I am retiring from tax preparation, I was totally satisfied with TRX and their very compentent Tech Support. As I have stated before, their use of "screenshare" for helping to solve problems, impressed me very much. I am not much of a computer literate, so this benefited me no end, and saved alot of time in accomplishing the desired results.

Daune/CA

The first posting on the "TRX now offering ATX" thread has the complete breakdown. Please check that out and let me know if you have any additional questions.

Sorry, Braeden, I had read that before but it was so long ago (more than an hour) that I had forgotten. It did answer my questions. Thanks.

Several of us have been communicating with TRX and then I started a thread in ATX Community - General Chit Chat which was closed to move the discussion to the TRX Forum. Most of the questions above have been asked and answered there, so it is a good starting point for your research.

That said. the $299.00 package is almost the same as Max, short some research and efiling of businesses.

The $699.00 packages is essentially the same as Total Tax Office a $1695.00 not $1110.00 package.

Several that had switched to TRX in the past have indicated that their support is better than ATX and includes technical support for tax questions not just ATX software questions. For me this forum is almost all the support I need and when I have used the ATX support, (since CCH took it over only) I have found it woefully lacking and poor at best. Long waits and support personnel that are unsure of the more technical questions. I must say I have rarely received a correct answer from them and most often fixed the problem myself after they put me on long holds, or came here and had my answer quickly posted.

Again go to the TRX forum and you will find many of your questions answered.

And Eric or KC, maybe this thread should be closed as was the original I started. The TRX forum is a better place for these issues. Also maybe something can be Pinned to this Forum directing everyone to the TRX forum to keep this discussion in one place.

I think it would be best to keep it open a bit longer, here, for those who never think about looking at any of the other forums.

And I expect I will be going with them next year, myself. Paying $699 for the same thing that I can get for $1695 is just about impossible not to take. I can use the extra almost $1K for other things. Braeden cleared up my major question, because I do understand that CCH still benefits from selling 'in volume' even at a reduced price, and of course they hope to get the sales when ATX customers decide it is time to 'move up' to one of their pricier premium products.

I think my one remaining question is about e-filing. The only things I've really needed from ATX support the last two seasons have dealt with someone in the EFC needing to "open the back door" so that a previously rejected (but corrected) return could be resubmitted.

So, Braeden: How does TRX handle these cases? Do they go to ATX for us, do we have to go to ATX, or do they somehow do the "unlocking" function themselves?

I did _not_ go with TTO in the past because I couldn't justify the expense with my small practice. I've even toyed with the idea of going PPR. But to get TTO for $699 sounds terrific. Even better service to clients, streamline some stuff for me, and a better price?!

Catherine

I think it would be best to keep it open a bit longer, here, for those who never think about looking at any of the other forums.

And I expect I will be going with them next year, myself. Paying $699 for the same thing that I can get for $1695 is just about impossible not to take. I can use the extra almost $1K for other things. Braeden cleared up my major question, because I do understand that CCH still benefits from selling 'in volume' even at a reduced price, and of course they hope to get the sales when ATX customers decide it is time to 'move up' to one of their pricier premium products.

KC,

I went with TRX today. I just can't turn down the opportunity to use ATX Total Tax Office and all of its features at the price of $699 plus shipping of $29.95.

Wayne Brasch