ATX Community

medlin payroll

grandmabee

anyone using medlin that can help me. I have a client using medlin and is trying to set up the payroll . Its a s corp that is paying the health insurance premiums for 100% shareholder. I know its not subject to ss and medicare. is subject to fed and state tax. what about Futa and Suta? and I was trying to walk her thru set up by phone but not having the progam she could figure it out. She has been doing payroll on medlin for a couple years and now we are adding the insurance to the wages.

You can go to the configuration screen and click one of the deductions that aren't being used and click on the down arrow. A menu will drop down and you can select medical insurance. It will then show up on the reports, but I don't know of any way you can make it change the deduction for FICA and Medicare. You have to make those changes manually. If you have only one or two employees, it is not a big deal, but if you have several, you may want a different program. For $45 a year, I can put up with a little inconvenience.

If you need more info, I'll try to help.

Long winded answer ahead... (anytime I can stir up thoughts about record retention I do)

Medlin's Accounts Payable can be used to pay, track, and report information for vendors needing a 1099-MISC. We do not mix employees (W-2) and non-employees (1099) in the same program as one might call that "evidence" of employment...

We do not e-file 1099's at present. We find "encouraging" the printing and mailing of the forms also encourages record retention - something many folks forget to do. While many tout paperless offices, I have not found any computer or storage media I would trust with my record retention, at least not enough to stop maintaining paper records. I also find it easier to open a file cabinet when an old record is needed versus trying to find, open, and print an electronic record.

I am not saying electronic record keeping is bad. Some of the things I have yet to get past are:

Media changes. 5.25, 3.5, LS-120, Zip, tape drives, etc. Media styles come and go. If you store on a certain type of media, what if you do not keep the needed hardware? Extra work is needed to move data from old media to current, increasing the chance of loss.

Hard drives. Mean lifespan is 3 years. Not enough for my needs...

Portable media. Portable means easy to lose.

Tax agency failures. 2005 saw a problem where the IRS lost a large amount of 941 forms. We were getting questions on how to reprint these forms for several years. Maybe there was one person who had a reliable backup but the overwhelming majority had no backup and had changed computers since 2005. I am sure something like this will happen again...

---

Paper records are easy. If you have to save 5 years, use 5 cabinets. Every 5 years, destroy the old data and use the empty cabinet for the current data. If your paper records are destroyed, you can use your online and off site backups.

I do backup a couple of times a day using a series of automated and manual steps. Cobian to manage what I backup, compression, encoding, and password protecting. Mozy for online storage (also encodes and password protects). DVD's to keep copies in the office and for copies to take home. I never have more than 4 hours of data at risk (that could be lost) and I have 4 weeks of backups I can choose from. Before online backup was common, I would e-mail the files to myself and leave them on my mail server.

The final thoughts: Can YOU, at this moment, produce a record from 5 years ago? Can you do so in under 15 minutes? Under an hour? Have you actually tried to? Time is money. Time spent trying to dig up records costs you money as well as your client.

E-filing 1099s is almost a necessity if you do very many, since printing those red, scannable copies is such a nuisance.

If you e-file them, you can still print a copy on plain white paper if you like paper copies. Instead of buying five file cabinets, I prefer to back up files on an external disk and with an online automatic backup system. Instead of getting up an rummaging through a file cabinet, I don't have to leave my desk to view and print a copy of anything I need.

But if you don't back up everything, then some good fireproof file cabinets are probably the way to go.