ATX Community

New Computer

Booger

Morning, everybody. Purchased a new computer, and am trying to access the ATX programs/files that are stored

on external drives. I click the Start, Run, Browse, and access the external drives. Then,when I double click the

ATX Icon, I get the following message:

Run-time Error '429'

ActiveX component can't

create object

Does anybody know what I'm doing wrong? I have ATX program/files back to 1999 that are stored

on the external drives that I would like to put Icons for on the desktop.

Thanks in advance.

Booger

Booger,

I think your problem may be that ATX programs install some of their files on your local C: (hard drive). If you are only trying to access ATX programs that are stored completely on your external drive, I don't think that will work for you. I would recommend putting your ATX installation CD in your computer and let that disk install those basic files and don't allow it to install the tax forms since they are already on your external drive. See if that helps at all.

Wayne Brasch

Booger,

I think your problem may be that ATX programs install some of their files on your local C: (hard drive). If you are only trying to access ATX programs that are stored completely on your external drive, I don't think that will work for you. I would recommend putting your ATX installation CD in your computer and let that disk install those basic files and don't allow it to install the tax forms since they are already on your external drive. See if that helps at all.

Wayne Brasch

That is exactly what happened to me and I did what Wayne suggested and everything worked out fine. Very frustrated and many hours later, I found the files on my C drive and reinstalled ATX.

Morning, everybody. Purchased a new computer, and am trying to access the ATX programs/files that are stored

on external drives. I click the Start, Run, Browse, and access the external drives. Then,when I double click the

ATX Icon, I get the following message:

Run-time Error '429'

ActiveX component can't

create object

Does anybody know what I'm doing wrong? I have ATX program/files back to 1999 that are stored

on the external drives that I would like to put Icons for on the desktop.

Thanks in advance.

Booger

What operating system did you purchase? Vista? 32 bit? 64 bit?

Randall, the PC has Vista, but when booted up, it shows Microsoft Windows XP. So I ASSUME that

the OS is XP.

Thanks. I was just curious. I plan to get a new computer later in the year. Windows 7 is scheduled out by the holidays but that could be delayed. Then there will probably be all the usual problems with that as well. I'd prefer not to get the new OS until SP1 is out. And ATX, QB, Peachtree usually are a year (version) behind. There's been a lot of negative talk about Vista but I wonder if that's just the techies doing their usual thing.

Thanks. I was just curious. I plan to get a new computer later in the year. Windows 7 is scheduled out by the holidays but that could be delayed. Then there will probably be all the usual problems with that as well. I'd prefer not to get the new OS until SP1 is out. And ATX, QB, Peachtree usually are a year (version) behind. There's been a lot of negative talk about Vista but I wonder if that's just the techies doing their usual thing.

Randall,

I've had Windows Vista ever since it came out. I have had no problems with any year's version of ATX products working with it. I have ATX products back to the the 1998 tax-filing season loaded on that computer.

Wayne Brasch

Randall,

I've had Windows Vista ever since it came out. I have had no problems with any year's version of ATX products working with it. I have ATX products back to the the 1998 tax-filing season loaded on that computer.

Wayne Brasch

Thanks Wayne. How new is your computer? If I understand the technical jargon, there's 32 bit and 64 bit hardware and there's 32 bit and 64 bit versions of Vista. There have been some comments here about trouble with the 64 bit version and ATX. Do you know if you have 32 or 64. I'd like to zoom up to the 64 bit system but I don't want to have to gerry rig things. I like easy but I like the latest and greatest stuff too.

Thanks Wayne. How new is your computer? If I understand the technical jargon, there's 32 bit and 64 bit hardware and there's 32 bit and 64 bit versions of Vista. There have been some comments here about trouble with the 64 bit version and ATX. Do you know if you have 32 or 64. I'd like to zoom up to the 64 bit system but I don't want to have to gerry rig things. I like easy but I like the latest and greatest stuff too.

Randall,

My present computer was purchased near the beginning of February, 2009 when my old one's motherboard went out. As you know, tax-filing season was beginning to speed up right about then. My system is 32 bit. My question is, is there any advantage to a 64 bit system?

Wayne Brasch

Can I "re-hijack" this thread for a moment? When I tried to re-install the programs for 2005-2008,

the CD would start the installation process, but wouldn't install the program(s). I called ATX tech support,

who told me the following:

1. Right-click the time at the bottom right-hand corner of the screen;

2. Click on Task Manager;

3. Click the "Processes" Tab;

4. Find APP.EXE, right-click on it; and

5. Click "End Process"

The CD's would get to around 15% of the installation, then the following message pops up:

Run-time Error "429"

ActiveX component can't create object

Going to the knowledge database under MyATX hasn't helped me at all. Any suggestions?