ATX Community

NT-AN ALERT FOR THE WOMEN ON THE FORUM

AnnieR

About 3 weeks ago, on a Thursday morning, I woke up with an ache in my upper chest and back, and it hurt to take a deep breath. Being the good "little" wife that I am :rolleyes: I went about my normal Thursday chores, laundry, changing beds, folding & hanging clean clothes, etc. About 3 pm, I went to the garage where my husband was doing woodworking, finally explained what was happening...like I could hardly breathe...Me...do you think I ought to call the dr?...Him...get your a.. in the house and do it...nurse at dr's office...do you want me to call an ambulance or can Jim take you to the hospital?

Needless to say, in about 15 min. I was in the er, diagnosed with atrial fibrillation, pulse rate at approximately 184. I stayed in the hospital for 3 days, and actually didn't go back to a regular heartbeat for about 2 weeks. The danger of AFib is stroke, not actual heart attack, so now I'm on digoxin and coumadin.

According to the literature I was given, about 9% of people above 60 have AFib, my husband has had it for years and knows exactly when he has an episode. Me...nada. Of course, women have different symptoms, I never thought that it hurting to breathe was anything but a pulled muscle, plus women have a denial system second to none.

The reason I am posting this, is "LADIES, DON'T IGNORE ANY STRANGE SYMPTOMS YOU MAY HAVE. IT'S NOT WORTH IT"

AnnieR

Yeah; that happens to me all the time. Really. Very tight chest and hurts to breathe. But it goes away in an hour or three. Don't know about the pulse. I'm only 49. But I am also afflicted with "its only a flesh wound" syndrome and wait it out.

I'd recommend you talk to someone about that. The worst that happens is that they tell you you're OK.

Yeah; that happens to me all the time. Really. Very tight chest and hurts to breathe. But it goes away in an hour or three. Don't know about the pulse. I'm only 49. But I am also afflicted with "its only a flesh wound" syndrome and wait it out.

Please let me second Catherine's statement. See a doctor and get a check up. Tight chest and hurts to breathe could be very serious. At least you might be able to get some relief through treatment.

(I recently had to use a body bag on someone who was "waiting it out".)

I, too, have had situations where I said--I'm gonna have problems someday with that. Turned out, in the case of the gall bladder, I was having major problems and had had for several years.

Heart problems don't run in my family, I have low/normal blood pressure, but I have had erratic heartbeat for years and years, plus a tendency to light headedness if I got up too suddenly. At my advanced age-73-I jumped out of bed with a leg cramp one morning and fainted dead away. Scared the living daylights out of my husband who is ill. Since then I have been through a battery of tests. We now know I do not have diabetes, my thyroid function is great, I don't have a Triple A, my carotid arteries are clear, I passed all the stress tests, etc. The cardiologist said "You have an erratic heartbeat that doesn't bother you. We have nothing to treat. You are no longer our patient." The reason I fainted was, of course, my blood pressure dropped from jumping out of bed--which is what I said when it happened. You cannot imagine the relief my family felt to learn that Mom is not also ill You know, we are supposed to be invincible and it scares them if we are not.

Get problems checked before they become major problems. Learn to listen to what your body is telling you. Don't put it off because you are afraid to find out what might be wrong. Take care of yourself. Taxes are stressful enough without adding to it. MM