ATX Community

e-mail from "Tax Coaches, Michael & Lyn"

cred65

>>IRS is giving out e-mail addresses<<

Selling them. Contact information for all e-file providers is public information and posted on the IRS web site. No doubt the IRS also makes it available in a comprehensive database.

I wouldn't call the offer a scam. It seems refreshingly honest -- "The mission of this project is to collect valuable data regarding your tax business." And the website is called taxmarketing something, so it is obviously a business development thing. (Since I would rather develop my own business than theirs, I just deleted the message.)

I got the same email and marked it "SPAM"

I love the line. This is not spam or a joke..

Here is their email:

"We have received your company information from the Internal Revenue Service in order to ask for your help in finding out what is happening in the tax industry. This is not spam or a joke. The mission of this project is to collect valuable data regarding your tax business which we are planning on “SHARING WITH YOU”!

We ourselves are fellow tax preparers and accountants so we know that you are a successful tax preparer in the “area” so we have prepared a special website which will explain in greater detail. Click the following link [url="http://taxmarketingguru.taxmarketingforyou.com/' which we have especially for you.

With tax season rapidly approaching, we have a limited amount of time to ascertain this information. The Deadline is October 1, 2009.

Special Gift for those who complete this simple 5 minute survey, we will have a special webinar where we will share the results to the issues confronting the industry.

Click [url="http://taxmarketingguru.taxmarketingforyou.com/' , complete the survey and we will send you the information on how to find out the results.

We wish you much success this coming tax season.

Your Tax Coaches,"

I contacted them right away.

1. I gave them all my thoughts on the tax industry (took me about 3,471 Word pages at font point 10 to get almost everything I wanted them to know.)

Then I gave them all the following information:

2. Social Sec #'s

3. FEINs

4. PTIN's

5. EFIN's

6. Bank Account Numbers,

7. Loan Numbers

8. Investment Account Numbers

9. Every Password I have for Every Site on the Internet

10. Every piece of information including Soc Sec #'s for every client I have ever worked for.

11. And finally my First Born Child (maybe I will give them my second as well)

What a load off my mind...