ATX Community

NT: Flu?

Catherine

How are folks on the forum doing regarding the flu? Has anyone gotten the swine flu or the regular flu?

This question is suddenly near and dear to me, as I came down with the flu yesterday morning (don't know which variety, but I got my "regular" shot over a month ago). I have lots of sympathy for anyone else who's been through it. The worst part for me has been the unrelenting headache.

And there's a small plug in here for sympathy as I'm not getting all that much TLC at home. :blush:

I had the flu starting the last week of Oct when I was trying to finish up quarterly payroll and other state returns and of course waiting for my last minute people. I was able to work mornings but then went home to bed when the fever got to be more than I could deal with. I didn't have a headache but did have lower back pain from hip to hip that was very intense. I guess I don't need a flu shot now and I don't know what kind of flu is was. Last week was the first week I could work a full day. I am glad it is over and so sorry you have to go through it. On day 5 I felt good enough to leave home and go all day shopping but then I slept for almost 2 days. Don't get too carried away when you start to feel better just take it easy for at least 2 weeks.

Don't forget plenty of fluids and rest.

Karen

I haven't been bothered by it so far. I had the regular flu shot about 6 weeks ago--I volunteer at the AF base pharmacy so I was able to get one when they became available for the active duty troops. I have only had the flu one time and it was in 1962, only started getting the shot to keep my husband happy. I need to see about getting the Swine flu shot because I interact with many people and my husband's health is such that we can't afford to have him get it. We are old enough that our ages indicate we may have immunity from previous outbreaks. He had a lovely case of the flu that went around in about 1967, hopefully that will keep him from getting anything more. mm

Catherine, I'm sorry that you have the flu. My 15 year old son had H1N1 in early September. I got him in to the doctor on the first day that he had symptoms, because we knew that he had been exposed by friends. He tested positive and they put all of us on Tamiflu. He had a mild version and would have gone back to school after one day, but they wouldn't allow him back for three days. He has been very sick three times since then. He just finished his third round of antibiotics and prednisone. I am taking him back to the doctor tomorrow, because I am worried about his terrible cough and bubbling in his chest. His ENT said that the H1N1 causes a lot of damage to people's organs and respiratory systems so please take care of yourself. I know that he hasn't rested as much as he should, but he has already missed too much school. I was sick two weeks ago, but don't know what it was. I didn't have a fever, but I was miserable for a week and couldn't stay at the office for the whole day, because I was so exhausted. Good luck and go to the doctor if you get worse.

Bonnie

Take good care of yourself. I don't know why we moms/wives/women don't get the same care from others as we give them, but we don't. I find that if you give specific instructions (bring me fresh ginger ale every hour on the hour; buy chicken noodle soup; bring me the ice bag with half ice and half cold water) you will get some care. Don't be vague. Sleep.

Karen Lee -- Glad you are better. I've already cancelled everything I had scheduled through mid-week and will probably cancel more tomorrow. I'm sure not planning on going shopping or contra dancing!

Bonnie, I will take your cautions very seriously and hope that your son recovers fully very soon.

I got the "regular" flu shot as soon as it was available to the public -- probably six weeks ago. That leaves two options; either this is swine flu, or the regular shot didn't do squat.

Many thanks to all for prayers and suggestions. Lion, I am learning to be specific. Juice. Toast. Chicken soup.

The headache is lifting (hallelujah), and I came online to post a tale sent to me. Then I think it'll be time for another nap.

Catherine

Nap. And, to all under the weather: remember that we are here for you to vent. We'll send prayers and sympathy your way, and if close enough, some chicken soup too! Oh, and let your family deal with laundry for a week.

Too late to do me any good!! I did tons of laundry on Friday, including bathroom rugs and all sorts of other "occasional" items. Ran up and down stairs all day and was just fine. 4AM Saturday...... oooph.

Today even the -thought- of running up and down those stairs, -without- baskets in hand, is too much.

Oh, yes, I'm taking it easy. In fact, I'm going to go take it easy some more, right now.