ATX Community

New Computer

joanmcq

I am currently building my new computer. Dual processor, 4Gb Ram, 1Tb hard drive, and I am diving in headfirst with Windows 7 PRO 64 bit.

Word on the geek street is that the only version of Windows 7 to have is Professional. It has an XP emulator for programs and printers.

The price difference is less than a new printer.

Complaints already surfacing about printer companies NOT writing drivers for Windows 7. No names mentioned, but one of the companies I keep hearing about has the initials hp.

When I get it assembled (probably this weekend) I will load all ATX from 2003 to 2009 and report any hitches or glitches.

I agree completely about having a Mac version. Tax software is the only reason I own a PC. It seems I read somewhere that ATX had a Mac version until the year before I switched -- how's that for timing? I believe that was around 1998.

Since ATX is Excel based, I wouldn't think it would take that much extra programming to have both Mac & PC versions. They both use Visual Basic for their programming. It seems the main difference would be in how to code the directory / folder structures.

I wish ATX would make a Mac OS version. Just bought new MacBook Pro and cant use with program unless I split hardrive and add Windows. If I do that, might as well buy new computer for price of Windows Operating system.... :(

Talk to me about running ATX on a MAC, that is how I roll.... I have a 20" iMac and a Macbook Pro running XP Prof on boot camp. I tried VM Parallel at first, but it was crashing constantly so I went with Bootcamp plus its free with any Mac. I am retiring my 20" iMac in a few days, I bought a 27" iMac with 1TB hard drive last week, and I am going to transfer my complete XP installation + all my installed application to the new Mac (no need to reinstall any software, now this is a plus). How much HD space do you have on your MBP? I can help you or advice you if would you like.

MAS

I am running Windows 7 Enterprise on a test machine and I love it. When Windows Vista came on board, I suggested this forum NOT to upgrade at the beginning or on the middle of tax season. With Windows 7, I am not that concerned. I have not read any bad comments on Windows 7 as I did with Windows Vista when it was released. The company I work for skipped Windows Vista and stayed with Windows XP. Again, Windows 7 is the best Windows OS ever released!!!

For printer drivers, you can always fall back to the old standards. Deskjet 550, Laserjet II, etc. This is something that is usually needed when a new printer model comes out (takes several months of shelf time for the driver to be "updated"), and for new OS versions. For nearly every brand of printer, there will be an older model driver in the Windows setup that will work with newer model printers.

For the most part, any driver (printer or other) included with Windows (one you do not have to use a disk or internet to install) is fairly well vetted.

I am running Windows 7 Pro. Haven't discovered all the bells & whistles yet, but I like it very much so far. I loaded both ATX 2008 & 2007 and imported my files and both seem to run just fine, although they don't load as fast as 2009 does. Will try the older programs a year back at a time. Am running all the way back to 1997 on my old XP Pro laptop, and never had any problems with compatability.

Now the printer driver is another thing! My HP M2727nfMFP is not even a year old, and they don't have a driver for it. Tried the universal driver, but I can't seem to get it loaded. Guess I'll let my roommate screw around with it and see if he can get it to work. No printer for tax time is not a good thing!

I wish ATX would make a Mac OS version. Just bought new MacBook Pro and cant use with program unless I split hardrive and add Windows. If I do that, might as well buy new computer for price of Windows Operating system.... sad.gif

Check out this:

http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/

My son runs it on his MacBook Pro and seamlessly switches from PC apps to Mac apps.