ATX Community

NT Woohoo my EA Review

ILLMAS

I am excited my EA review books came in today, bought them used dough, but are in mint conidition. Anybody else getting ready? I have not decided when to take the exam yet.

Thinking about it. Seen some old exams on irs site and looks real tough. so where do you get the books to study for it? :dunno:

I am going to take the exams during the summer.

I will do it the way I did with my drivers license writen test. I didn't study and I passed the first time in DC. Then, I went to VA and I passed it and I got my license. I went back to take it in DC and I failed. I was shocked because I knew all the driving rules in my country since it was part of my daily job.

Does anyone know how long does it take to register with IRS? Let me say that I pass the tests in June 2010 and I submit the form to the IRS, when will I be an EA officially?

I will do it the way I did with my drivers license writen test. I didn't study and I passed the first time in DC. Then, I went to VA and I passed it and I got my license. I went back to take it in DC and I failed. I was shocked because I knew all the driving rules in my country since it was part of my daily job.

Does anyone know how long does it take to register with IRS? Let me say that I pass the tests in June 2010 and I submit the form to the IRS, when will I be an EA officially?

I took the exam in 1989, passed first time. Once you pass the exam you'll receive a big packet of forms to complete, which may include a fingerprint card, and forms for IRS clearances including checking that you're current in your tax filing obligations. I would guess it to be about a 3-month process, give or take.

Lynn Jacobs, EA, NP

Kenner, LA

I just finished Part I and Part II.(Passed in first time) Have to take Part III. Probably early summer after the season.

I think IRS says around 2 months after filing all necessary forms.

Devm

Thinking about it. Seen some old exams on irs site and looks real tough. so where do you get the books to study for it? :dunno:

I bought the books on Craigslist and locally, some guy bought them for his wife that was going to take the exam, but wife decided to take the CPA in California, instead of Illinois. These are the Gleim EA book, they sell for around $300. I am aiming to take Part I in Feb 2010 and the rest during the summer.

I bought the books on Craigslist and locally, some guy bought them for his wife that was going to take the exam, but wife decided to take the CPA in California, instead of Illinois. These are the Gleim EA book, they sell for around $300. I am aiming to take Part I in Feb 2010 and the rest during the summer.

Thx!

I used the Gleim books and CD and thought they were GREAT preparation. Work on them enough, and you'll start to find the mistakes in the prep materials (they use former exam questions, complete with the original mistakes). That's when you'll know you're getting the hang of it.

I also really liked finding out that it was when I went back and re-visited a question that I got it wrong. That gave me the confidence to answer - move on; answer - move on, during the real test.

I passed all four sections (four back then; three now) first try. And a number of those sections were on types of returns that I had never yet done in "real life" (corporates, fiduciaries, etc).

Catherine

I used the Gleim books and CD and thought they were GREAT preparation. Work on them enough, and you'll start to find the mistakes in the prep materials (they use former exam questions, complete with the original mistakes). That's when you'll know you're getting the hang of it.

I also really liked finding out that it was when I went back and re-visited a question that I got it wrong. That gave me the confidence to answer - move on; answer - move on, during the real test.

I passed all four sections (four back then; three now) first try. And a number of those sections were on types of returns that I had never yet done in "real life" (corporates, fiduciaries, etc).

Catherine

How deep does the test get into the corp returns? I've never done any and really don't foresee it anytime soon?

How deep does the test get into the corp returns? I've never done any and really don't foresee it anytime soon?

It is hard to tell. Since you already know the personal tax rules, you concentrate on the type of returns you don't prepare. Previous exams are very helpful. The problem is that they are not updated anymore. They used to publish them every year but since they computerized the exam, they don't publish them yearly anymore.