ATX Community

Tax years 1996, 1997, 1998

bardon719

Just received a call from a client who had not filed returns for 1996,1997,1998, and the IRS wants to charge her tax on the full amount of income. and she claims she had plenty of deductions.

Since I've thrown my old tax programs away from those years, (who knew?), I was wondering if anyone had these programs that I may be able to get a copy of?

Thanks in advance.

Bardon

Just received a call from a client who had not filed returns for 1996,1997,1998, and the IRS wants to charge her tax on the full amount of income. and she claims she had plenty of deductions.

Since I've thrown my old tax programs away from those years, (who knew?), I was wondering if anyone had these programs that I may be able to get a copy of?

Thanks in advance.

Bardon

I would contact ATX. You used to be able to buy back years for a nominal fee. William always seemed to take care of that for us. Seemed to me that it was in the order of $5-$15 dollars.

Mike

In the past, those old programs were available for $20 each, I'm not sure what the deal is now, but I know you can get them real cheap. In fact, if you bought them back then, you should be able to get a new disk for just the cost of the shipping and the disk. Call Sales, ask for Kerry, and get him to help you.

ATX has a minimum charge of $100 for any past year software, as mentioned on one of my previous posts. I had ATX for years 1999-2006 and I needed 1998. I called and I was told that no matter what I ordered, it was going to cost me $100. So I asked them to send me 11 years for $100 (1995-2005).

>>the IRS has these prior years in pdf format<<

For single returns, doing them by hand is best. Your computer, and especially your printer, may not handle older software without a lot of tweaking. You won't be familiar with the quirks and workarounds of the old programs either. Cheat by doing it in the current year program so you get the totals for W-2's and Schedule B and so on. Then make your corrections for the specific year. Copy in pencil or else get a forms program that lets you scan blank forms and "type" anywhere on it so it looks nice.

ATX has a minimum charge of $100 for any past year software, as mentioned on one of my previous posts. I had ATX for years 1999-2006 and I needed 1998. I called and I was told that no matter what I ordered, it was going to cost me $100. So I asked them to send me 11 years for $100 (1995-2005).

I have purchased old programs from ATX and my recollection was that they only charged me around $20.00. These were years where I used software from another vendor, but now wanted to use consistent software so I did not have to remember how to use the old one.

Joel

Bardon,

I had to do some digging, but I found disks for those years. The disks I found aren't the latest version, but I don't guess it will matter since you won't be efiling them. I guess I can just copy them and they will work, I don't guess they have done anything funny that keeps them from being copied. Private mail me and give me your address and I will sent them to you. The earliest year I have on my computer is 1998 because anything earlier won't work on this computer, so I don't know if these will be of any help to you or not. I'm not a very computer smart guy, so maybe you can tell me what to do to get you good copies. If it is just a matter of copying from one disk to another, I can do that.

Gene

Please do not share copywrighted software on this forum. It is illegal!!!.

Is it possible that since the years in question don't work on his computer that we do not actually have dual use of a single licensed item, therefore not have a copywright issue? In fact, since they don't work on his computer, he could send him the disks if he wanted to.

If I remember correctly, ATX has suggested in the past that it was OK to share programs for years past. There has even been much discussion on the old ATX board about who had what programs and if anyone would send a copy. Of course CCH probably has a different policy, but I don't know if it could go back to programs that ATX produced before CCH was involved. If it is against ATX or CCH policy to share old programs, then I certainly won't do it. Maybe Monkeyman can enlighten us.

Gene

Oaky, I'll chime in here. ATX did not care if we shared the programs in the past. Again, I like the other posters, don't know CCH's position with this. However, ATX owned the software and not CCH at the time. Anyway, I have copies of the years you requested that have been updated by ATX to work with XP Pro. The only year I had any difficulty with was 2007. I ran that on a machine that had win2k and it worked fine. So, I'll go out on a limb here, e-mail me with your address and I'll send you copies of the disks.

Terry D.

Yes, there was a time when we were sending them all over the country with the blessing of ATX. I, myself, copied and sent out many years until ATX took the burden off of us and offered replacement disks at a minimal cost. I think I do, however, have every year since 1995....