ATX Community

ATX Layoffs Caribou

mastertax07

ATX Layoffs Caribou

Posted Thursday, December 27, 2007 5:45 pm

A major employer in Caribou is seeing a major reduction in it's workforce.

About 200 full and part time jobs at ATX have been cut although officials did not confirm the total number.

According to a company statement, CCH Small Firm Services is centralizing ATX customer support and sales functions in our facility in Rome, Georgia, which requires the relocation of positions, and regrettably the elimination of positions, from the Caribou site. In a highly competitive marketplace, this decision was necessary to our business. Affected individuals are being provided with severance benefits and assistance in finding other positions. We will continue ATX operations in Caribou, and this office will now operate as the center of development for ATX products, with a team of professionals focusing on product development.

The company was founded in Aroostook back in 1992, and in September 2006 ATX. was acquired by CCH, a provider of tax and accounting law information, software and services that has been serving professionals and their clients since 1913.

Caribou City Manager Steven Buck says he is disappointed about the lack of communication from the company. (WAGM-TV)

>>requires the relocation of positions, and regrettably the elimination of positions, from the Caribou site<<

Some of the user support is moving, but some is being dumped. The down-sized, inexperienced support staff will be separated from the developers who know the program, and the programmers will be separated from the CCH management that doesn't give communication a high priority. Right when the whole system just got shocked by major last-minute changes, too. But don't worry--CCH has a strong commitment to their ATX products.

Saving money by moving to GA? That's full of bull**** and everyone knows it. Maine is one of the most inexpensive places to hire employees in the nation. The one benefit that I see is that they can't have a blizzard shut down operations, trading that off for a hurricane every so often. BUT, if they already have a support staff in GA, then they can double up the responsibilities so they are supporting two programs and intermingling the way things work. Maybe their knowlege of tax forms will improve, but having to know two different programs won't help. Another area of concern is that during the non-support season, we used to use the tech support people to help with forms development years ago, with these people having much more knowlege to help the customers during the support times. I wonder if that means more 'temporary full time' possitions to handle the heavy load during parts of the year and layoffs during the light portions of the year.

I wonder what happened to William if they laid off the support people. He REALLY was a company asset that was worth more than anything that they paid him.

Sorry, but this really irks me... What company in their right mind does a major change in technical support staff like this right at the VERY beginning of a technical support rush? What's the hidden agenda here? Try to push people to another program? Technical support staffs should be finishing their ramping up, not shutting down.

I have to agree with Mel about timing, but from a slightly different perspective.

Had I known that the support people that we all have grown to love and respect, been laid off prior to my renewing I never would have done it!

There was basically two issues that caused me to renew, one being the fact that if I really needed help I could rely on William and others from the old ATX to respond and help me fix my problem. The second thing that helped me decide to renew was being a part of this community.

A program, now matter how inexpensive or how expensive, is only as good as the support. Now it appears that we have lost that.

I definitely will be test running other programs next year.

I'm with Mel, I'm very ticked!

Deb!

Hello! This is William. Thank you for your concern, but I am still with the company. While it is true that customer service has been consolidated in one office, the number of jobs here in Caribou that were affected were overstated. The total number was 54, but that number will be reduced by several of those who have already decided to transfer to the centralized call center.

I know the people personally who are in charge of customer service and have worked with them. I can tell you that my observation is they care very deeply for the customer experience and will be able to take care of all of your support needs.

Thank you again for your concern.

Somehow, I can't believe the support staff in GA (which I bet will know Taxwise very well...actually does anyone know where they are based? Are the Taxwise people going thru the same crap?) will know anything about ATX. This may be my last year with them as well...and William was worth his weight in gold. I rarely used tech support..mostly because I had William to answer my questions on the board when I had them. Since the training classes were crap, and there's not much support that I can find with the program, I'm glad all of you are here. I have a feeling we will have to be tech support for each other.

Hello! This is William. Thank you for your concern, but I am still with the company. While it is true that customer service has been consolidated in one office, the number of jobs here in Caribou that were affected were overstated. The total number was 54, but that number will be reduced by several of those who have already decided to transfer to the centralized call center.

I know the people personally who are in charge of customer service and have worked with them. I can tell you that my observation is they care very deeply for the customer experience and will be able to take care of all of your support needs.

My apologies. I was told that you had been let go. I've removed my previous post.

William, we are DELIGHTED to see you on here. I sincerely hope that you will grace us with your presence whenever you have the time. And I am happy to hear that you are still with the company. I must say, after the farce that their 'Training Seminar' turned out to be, my feeling about the future for the company are very mixed. It sure seems that they are letting TaxWise take over things that they are not competent to take over.

William, we are DELIGHTED to see you on here. I sincerely hope that you will grace us with your presence whenever you have the time. And I am happy to hear that you are still with the company. I must say, after the farce that their 'Training Seminar' turned out to be, my feeling about the future for the company are very mixed. It sure seems that they are letting TaxWise take over things that they are not competent to take over.

Thanks, KC. It's nice to see you too, my friend.

I am hoping they will be able to provide adequate support as ATX always has in the past. However, it is difficult to find out when I am waiting on hold for 35 minutes with still no answer. Does anyone know if there is another number to call or can I still use the one I have been using all year?