ATX Community

Renewal offers from ATX

Jack from Ohio

I'm wondering if they are going to reach out to any of us former users who went through TRX last year. Even if I have to pay full boat, it will still have been a win over 2 years. It would be nice to be wooed back, however. TRX is certainly pursuing me to stick around but I think I don't want to change programs again.

I got this yesterday.

www.atxinc.com

Dear Valued ATX Customer,

Major changes in our industry and our profession will impact all of us over the next couple of years.

First, the Internal Revenue Service later this year will launch an ambitious new initiative to register all tax professionals. Starting Sept. 1, 2010, the IRS will require anyone who prepares and signs a federal tax return for a fee to obtain a Preparer Tax Identification Number, or PTIN. Even if you already have a PTIN, you will have to register with the government.

Over the next three years, every registrant who is not a CPA, enrolled agent or lawyer will have to pass a basic competency test to be designed and administered by the IRS. And every registered preparer will also have to complete at least 15 hours of approved CPE each year, with CPAs, enrolled agents and lawyers being allowed to fulfill that through their existing CPE requirements.

This new registration and testing plan represents the first-ever federal effort to certify as many as 1.2 million tax professionals. We at CCH Small Firm Services (SFS) have been working closely with the IRS on this initiative so we can provide help and training for our customers as the registration program unfolds. (For more details, please see the SFS Customer Bulletin by clicking the link in the sidebar to the right.)

A second major change involves mandated electronic filing. Starting in January 2011, any tax professional who prepares more than 100 individual or fiduciary federal returns will be required to electronically file all of those returns.

A year later in January 2012, that threshold will drop to 10 returns. If you are not already e-filing, the SFS team is ready to support you in every way-from helping you obtain the necessary Electronic Filing Identification Number (EFIN) to showing you how to file electronically and train your staff using our Training Electronic Filing Center.

In conjunction with the e-file mandate, the IRS will be rolling out its Modernized Electronic Filing (MeF) platform for Form 1040 next January following what amounted to a pilot program this season. It will cover the 22 most-used forms, which the IRS says take care of at least 70 percent of individual returns.

MeF will enable XML files and the ability to attach many more documents to support tax data. And MeF will also involve real-time filing so IRS acknowledgements can be returned in minutes rather than hours.

As the largest provider to the independent market, SFS is ready to ensure that you receive all the benefits of this new technology. We will be mailing you a renewal quote next week. But you can renew now by calling 1-800-495-4626 today.

Doing so will guarantee that you receive the full benefit of our support for the important changes in the coming year. And by renewing now, you can also take advantage of the lowest prices of the year.

We thank you for your continued business and look forward to working with you in the future.

Sincerely,

Jeff Gramlich, CPA, CITP

President

CCH Small Firm Services

P.S. - Renew now and you could win up to $3,000! That's right...everyone who renews by May 27, 2010 will automatically be entered in a drawing for a first prize of $3,000, a second prize of $2,000 and a third prize of $1,000. So don't wait. More from ATX:

You should receive your renewal quote toward the end of next week.

But you can renew ATX now and save! Call us at 1-800-495-4626.

SFS Customer Bulletin

Click here for details on IRS mandates for tax preparer registration and e-filing…and more!

Special Report on Health Care Reform

How will Health Care Reform affect your business and your clients? Click here for a Special Report from CCH.

Click here to see last year's winners in the Early Renewal Sweepstakes!

© 2010 CCH Small Firm Services. All rights reserved.

This email address is not monitored on a regular basis. Please contact customer support, sales, or renewals departments with your respective inquiries. If you do not wish to receive unsolicited marketing messages from CCH Small Firm Services, click “Unsubscribe” and include your Client ID in the e-mail. We will continue to provide you with technical and informational e-mails.

CCH Small Firm Services

6 Mathis Drive NW

Rome, Georgia 30165 USA

I received a call last week from CCH sales and retention inquiring if in fact if I would be returning to ATX for 2010. I had purchased ATX for 2009 through TRX and never looked back.

I explained my dissatisfaction with ATX specifically their altering the software without any notification, i.e. fixed assets, and subsequently offering to sell you the same functionality. In addition we discussed pricing, etc. He was ready to discount the software had I shown any interest in renewing!

I explained to him that I had already purchased Tax Works from TRX for 2010 for $299 plus shipping, which by the way includes their fixed asset manager, document manager, RIA Checkpoint and client write up with payroll. He wished me luck. I do believe that this offer of $299 is still available until May 1, 2010. Anybody interested should call TRX, http://www.trxalliance.com/index.html.

Best of luck to all.

Mike Dubin CPA

I received a call last week from CCH sales and retention inquiring if in fact if I would be returning to ATX for 2010. I had purchased ATX for 2009 through TRX and never looked back.

I explained my dissatisfaction with ATX specifically their altering the software without any notification, i.e. fixed assets, and subsequently offering to sell you the same functionality. In addition we discussed pricing, etc. He was ready to discount the software had I shown any interest in renewing!

I explained to him that I had already purchased Tax Works from TRX for 2010 for $299 plus shipping, which by the way includes their fixed asset manager, document manager, RIA Checkpoint and client write up with payroll. He wished me luck. I do believe that this offer of $299 is still available until May 1, 2010. Anybody interested should call TRX, http://www.trxalliance.com/index.html.

Best of luck to all.

Mike Dubin CPA

Mike,

Yes, that is still what they are offering. I am evaluating that same package now and I was able to get them to extend the time till 05/31/10. I am going to get a price check with ATX before making by software decision for next year.

Art

Mike, have you looked at the TRX package? If so, how does it compare with ATX? I admit the price is really tempting but I am an old dog and don't know about new tricks. On the other hand, maybe the $800 difference is a good incentive to learn!

And I'm envious: I've used ATX since tax year 1997 (still have all the disks, too) but didn't get a call to return.

Margaret,

I have to date converted my clients from ATX to Tax Works 2009 and reviewed a handful. Most of the simpler returns were fine however as is the case with most software conversions those with depreciation, NOL carry forwards, etc. need some finessing.

I did process my own return from scratch and intend to do some other more complex ones simply for the experience. I have to admit after 6 years of ATX it's a learning experience. The most disheartening aspect is no form entry. I believe that I will ultimately adapt to it but it's a grind. It appears that most high end software is not forms driven. For the record, my return processed to the dollar.

I am seriously considering going completely paperless in that I will only provide a PDF copy to my clients. This appears to be an advantageous time for change due to all the new regulations facing all of us. There will be an additional charge for paper; some reasons for client are cost of processing, postage, storage, environment, etc.

As I have previously stated my good friend a CPA in Cal has used Tax Works for 5 years and has only kudos about the software. He prepares in excess of 500 mixed returns about 85% personal. H&R Block owns Tax Works since 2007 and uses it exclusively in all of their facilities for the preparation of their business returns. These give me hope.

I will continue to post as I progress.

The best thing that I can tell you is that I paid $299 and I will continue to pay $299 for the foreseeable future.

Mike Dubin CPA

Thanks, Mike, for the details. So TaxWorks is the TRX software? I thought they were creating their own brand for 2010. I will have to check out the demo, I guess. I just worry about all the Ohio Municipal returns and the interplay for multiple states, among other things.

Do go for paperless. It is wonderful! Over the past year, primarily in the fall, I converted nearly 15 years' worth of client records to 2 cd's. Within a couple of weeks I will burn another set of cd's for this tax season and a set is kept in my safe deposit box along with a set in my office safe. Of course, there are still the files on my hard drive and the 2 external back up drives. It was so liberating to get down to one filing cabinet and no storage boxes. I do recommend something really fast like a ScanSnap which scans both sides and is FAST.

This year I provided all client with a pdf and said that a paper copy would be provided only on request due to costs. No one asked for another copy. I did print out a client copy for the very old folks as they don't have computers. But I efiled the returns.

Thanks again - I'll check with TRX since CCH isn't pursuing me!

Well, I downloaded the TRXPro demo last night. The hurdle is too high for me so I will spend the extra money and stick with what I know. One of the issues is screen resolution. I use 800x600 to make it easier on my eyes. I also have 2 17" monitors that take up all the space so don't have enough room to get an even larger one because I really like having two. TRX display doesn't play well with my resolution. There is no bar at the bottom to move things only the boxes at the upper right. So, for me, it's a real bargain that isn't right for me.

Now I just hope I can wheedle CCH out of paying full price for MAX since I was a defector for a year...

Well, I downloaded the TRXPro demo last night. The hurdle is too high for me so I will spend the extra money and stick with what I know. One of the issues is screen resolution. I use 800x600 to make it easier on my eyes. I also have 2 17" monitors that take up all the space so don't have enough room to get an even larger one because I really like having two. TRX display doesn't play well with my resolution. There is no bar at the bottom to move things only the boxes at the upper right. So, for me, it's a real bargain that isn't right for me.

Now I just hope I can wheedle CCH out of paying full price for MAX since I was a defector for a year...

I had the same issue with TRX. I tried to mess around with the demo and found the learning curve a bit of a challenge. I'm so used to ATX and how to get around that everything is almost automatic. Right now I don't think I want to go through a new learning process. Also, I'm not sure how much payroll it will handle. I do quarterly and year end reports for several clients, including the unemployment reports from 2 different states. So, even with the good price with TRX I think I'm staying with ATX. Am also hoping for a discount offer.

Diane

Okay, Diane, let's tag team 'em! I have all the same issues plus I didn't see the 5227 form for CRUT's. I also didn't look but would be surprised to see all the Ohio munis. Anyway, I'm going for stability and figure my time is worth something, too. I have an efficiency level with ATX after all these years and don't want my clients - and possibly my reputation - to suffer because I intentionally changed software and couldn't master it timely.

I have an S1500. They were on sale several months ago for $400 but I just checked the other day (I wanted to get one for my church) and the price on the Fujitsu site is $495. It might be possible to get one for less somewhere else.

I had hired a part time person in the early fall to scan using a doc feed but single sided mfc. That went well but I would have saved a lot of money if I had already bought the ScanSnap. But she had lost her job and needed the money so I guess I had my own little stimulus program right here! And her company was a pleasure so all is well.

I went ahead and bought the TRX Pro for $300, renewable for life. The learning curve is very sharp (at least for me), but at least I have a while to practice before next season. I am doing my extensions on it. It took me about 3 days for the first return (a very simple return), and the second return about a half day. At this rate I will soon get into a negative time frame where I will finish a return even before I start it (grin). I believe we are all going to have to learn a new program sooner or later. As for trust - how many of you trust CCH?

Gene, I like your attitude! I downloaded the Pro version, too. And if I was 5-10 years younger would most likely make the switch. And I might still hedge my bets just in case... But that's kinda scary that it took you 3 days!!!! for a simple return. Than again, if you get into negative territory, well, that's a moneymaker for sure.

Do I trust CCH? Not implicitly but guess I am hoping they will hang in there for another 2-3 years until I retire.

Worse case scenario, since CCH isn't tempting me to return, I guess I will get the TRXPro, give it my best shot and buy ATX in the fall if I find I can't manage. The most I will have lost is $300 and potentially gained a lot. Maybe I should look at it as an investment in continued brain development, the always learning something new idea. Yeah, that's how I should look at it! I may have to consult you for tech support, you know. Is there a conversion package?

I went ahead and bought the TRX Pro for $300, renewable for life. The learning curve is very sharp (at least for me), but at least I have a while to practice before next season. I am doing my extensions on it. It took me about 3 days for the first return (a very simple return), and the second return about a half day. At this rate I will soon get into a negative time frame where I will finish a return even before I start it (grin). I believe we are all going to have to learn a new program sooner or later. As for trust - how many of you trust CCH?

Does the Pro version have any payroll forms in it? 941, 940, State unemployment, W-2, 1099? If so, I might do what Margaret is thinking about. Renew ATX in the Fall, purchase TRX now and play with it.

Diane

Margaret, I may have been a little misleading when I said it took me 3 days. I worked on it for 3 days in between other things I was doing. The program is a lot different from ATX and will require a lot of getting used to. I have been using ATX since 1994 (for 1993 returns)and am not familiar with other programs. There are some features I like about TRX. One is that you can elect to have data entered in bold characters. It makes the return look nicer. And I like the print menu.

Maybe there will be enough of us using the new program that we can help each other out. By the way, you may have to remind the TRX people that they have offered the Pro version at the $299 price. The first person I talked to said the Pro version is $599. When I called back I talked to Kimberly and she gave me the Pro version for $299 (guaranteed for life).

>>Does the Pro version have any payroll forms in it? 941, 940, State unemployment, W-2, 1099? If so, I might do what Margaret is thinking about. Renew ATX in the Fall, purchase TRX now and play with it.<<

Diane, they told me that the payroll portion of the program will be ready about July, but you know how that is. I was told that the payroll is active and passive, so I am sure it will include those forms IF they come through with what they said. If they don't, it is still a bargain. The program is also supposed to contain client write up. That's a lot for the money. This year I got ATX Max for $299 so I'm willing to gamble again.