ATX Community

Certification

TAXMAN

Access to the online sign-up system will be available through www.IRS.gov/taxpros in mid September. At time of this application the $64.25 payment will be required. Everyone must pay the fee and sign up for a PTIN using the new process, including those preparers who already have PTINs. Tax return preparers who already have PTINs will be assigned the same PTIN under the new system.

After I posted the previous item, I received the NATP TAXPRO WEEKLY dated 9 Sept 2010 and would you believe that it appears that IRS is still confused about JUST how they should proceed with the PTIN/TESTING, etc. Following is a quote from the 'UPDATE; REPARER REGISTRATION AND TESTING: "NATP participated in a conference call on the 8th of Sept with David Williams, IRS director of electronic tazx administration and refundable credits. Williams is also responsible for the registered return preparer program. It appears the IRS is still trying to work out the details of the PTIN requirements, exactly who is required to obain a PTIN, and who is subject to the testing requirements. The IRS asked NATP for clarification regarding who the PTIN requirement should apply to and how and who should be subject to the education and testing requirements. IRS also mentioned that maybe payroll professionals (who only do payroll returns) would be exempt from the testing." - wow, seems as tho they are not totally certain how this program will proceed and create a problem regarding implementation of the the entire program.....

They pretty much know the how. It's just the arguing over some of the who -- if preparing only payroll returns and no test is available, do those preparers have to get tested on 1040s? -- that kind of thing. If you prepare individual tax returns, you know you will have to register, have to obtain or "refresh" your PTIN, have to pay $64.25, have to do it online when it's available. And, if you're not an EA/etc., you'll have to get tested. When their online system opens up, you will hear it from many directions and can head on over! I'm in no hurry to be a beta tester nor to hand over my money any sooner than I have to.

I will wait 30 days after the opening bell. That will give the IRS geeks time to "patch" their software to make it actually work the way it should. Then the IRS will change the rules midstream and we will have another giant boondoggle of a mess, then the geeks will have to patch things again, and then the IRS will....

Maybe I will wait 60 days.....