ATX Community

Credit Card payments- any experiences

BulldogTom

I've never mentioned it because I've never heard of it. In your copious free time (hah - hah) tell us about it (or where we can find more info ourselves). Thanks!

Sure thing - look here: iTransact Trusted Advisor Program

Also, while looking for that page, I also came across online Merchant Account Services.

I am only familiar with the iTransact Trusted Advisor Program (the first link). This program gives clients access to (lower fee) national billing rates vs. (higher fee) small business rates. If you are not interested in becoming a Trusted Advisor and offering credit card processing to your clients, and are only interested in offering credit card processing for your services to your clients (did you follow that?), let me know and I will be glad to connect you with someone who can give you information so you can make an informed decision before just picking paypal and possibly paying higher rates.

If you already offer credit card processing, I can get you a "Sure Save Analysis" which will compare the fees you are paying to the fees you could get through iTransact. This analysis will either produce a savings (averaging around 20%) or confirm that you already have a good rate. How can you go wrong with information like this? All that is needed is two months of merchant services statements.

Let me know if I can be of value to you!

I've never mentioned it because I've never heard of it.

I received an e-mail from ATX announcing the iTransact program. Are you on the ATX email list? They have also announced an awesome contract pricing relationship with Staples (huge savings on the office supplies you order every day), the ability to offer clients their refund on a Western Union Debit Card (this is finally moving me out of the bank product arena as I no longer need to have the ability to print checks for a couple of clients - I never did RALs - and can offer the lower cost fee collect system to collect my fees out of client's refunds), etc. All of these I have received email announcements for.

I received an e-mail from ATX announcing the iTransact program. Are you on the ATX email list? They have also announced an awesome contract pricing relationship with Staples (huge savings on the office supplies you order every day), the ability to offer clients their refund on a Western Union Debit Card (this is finally moving me out of the bank product arena as I no longer need to have the ability to print checks for a couple of clients - I never did RALs - and can offer the lower cost fee collect system to collect my fees out of client's refunds), etc. All of these I have received email announcements for.

I thought I was getting all the email announcements from ATX (heaven knows my email box gets clogged with them from both ATX & CCH!) but none of these sound/look familiar at all. Perhaps they have a separate list for folks who have used bank products, or you answered an interest email at some point in the deep and distant past (or I answered an opt-out one equally long ago). Interesting.

I started using PayPal last year, and it went very smoothly for me. I don't use a button, but simply email an invoice to each client... once you set up the invoice, it takes little extra effort. Never had to pay any fee for transferring funds to my checking account.

This year I'm also trying a new service that David Pogue discussed in the NY Times. It's called Square, and for those with any Apple IOS or Android OS enabled devices, it's a pretty good deal. They send you a free card reader that plugs into the headphone jack. There are no monthly, startup, termination fees, or contracts. Only 2.75% + 15¢ for each swiped payment; 3.5% + 15¢ for each keyed-in payment. They accept all major cards. I can't vouch for it yet, but will be happy to report back toward the end of the season. Check out their very informative website: https://squareup.com/

taxtoddnyc, I am intrigued that you used Paypal without setting up a button. But you mention setting up and emailing an invoice to each client. Would you explain further, please? I am understanding that an invoice is created within Paypal then emailed. How does the client know to go to Paypal to pay without a button to click on that links the invoice to my account? It may be obvious to most but not to me. Thanks.

Margaret,

The payment button is embedded with the email invoice that the client receives. They click it, which takes them to the payment page which is linked to my account. They can pay with PayPal if they have an account, or can use any major credit card. I had a couple of hundred clients use this last year and can't recall anyone having a problem, so it must be quite user-friendly on the client's end. Go to the PayPal website... there's tons more info there: look under "Business">"Products & Services">"Email Invoicing". (FYI: I do have a website, but have kept it pretty simple. If I decide someday to increase its functionality, perhaps then I'll include a payment button on the site.)

Thanks, taxtoddnyc! Are the email invoices generated within Paypal? I use Quickbooks for invoicing now and would not be thrilled to have to duplicate invoices but could adapt. I will check the Paypal Email Invoicing for a better understanding, thanks. And I appreciate not having to finagle with my website. It, too, is very basic although the host has the capability of adding a Paypal button apparently with ease. I would rather keep things simple, thanks.

I copied the PayPal button from the PayPal site and pasted it on my web site. Clients have clicked on it and paid me via check, so I know it works. Easy as Cut & Paste. Actually, I had a choice of designs, so it took me longer to choose which button than it did to cut & past the button!