ATX Community

Tax Organizer

Dan

Question: Catherine I was wondering if you have put together a new tax organizer for the 2010 tax year. I remember you having one for us a few years ago. I really appreciate you sharing it with us.

What tax organizer will others use for this new year? Is there a cover letter that goes with it? Looking for some ideas.

There are two tax organizers for 2010 included in the 2009 ATX tax program. One is quite complex and the other is a stripped down version, which many of us prefer.; depending on the depth of the clien's tax return. Both include a cover letter or you can build your own. I have been quite happy with the ATX Organizer for many years; except for the (2)? when they did not include the basic one. I have learned to pick and choose the pages that I want for the client concerned. To find the organizer, go to the client, go to forms and type in Org. Or, you can access it from the Program Manager and automatically print organizers for all selected clients.

Question: Catherine I was wondering if you have put together a new tax organizer for the 2010 tax year. I remember you having one for us a few years ago. I really appreciate you sharing it with us.

What tax organizer will others use for this new year? Is there a cover letter that goes with it? Looking for some ideas.

Hi Dan --

I pretty much use the same engagement letter and document checklist every year; I update the year at the top and make any other year-specific changes required. (For example, when MA started requiring the 1099-HC for proof of health insurance, I added that to the checklist, and change the note on the letter to address some specific item that folks have asked about or is in the news.)

If you need a new copy of either (or both), reply back and I'll put 'em up as files.

2010 tax year Engagement, Tax.doc

I would be interested in looking at those, if possible. I am curious, also, if anybody out there has developed a .pdf form fill tax organizer. I have thoiught of doing that, however, I don't really want to reinvent the wheel.

Here are drafts of this year's forms. The funny margins on the letter are due to the requirements of my stationery.

Catherine

2010 Checklist - short organizer.doc

Yes, Catherine, thanks so much for sharing. The engagement letter is much like that from AICPA but you have simplified. And I think the additional comment regarding foreign bank accounts is great. I also appreciate the policy to efile. I would put that into my protected return information when sent to review but I like it better upfront, I think.

It's obvious you have done a great deal of careful editing and consideration for this correspondence. I and others really do appreciate your generosity in sharing. Maybe someday I will have something useful to share, too!