ATX Community

Gadgets and Tools Used In Your Business

clay

Other than a computer, I am interested if anyone is using any other tool in their practice. For example, an ipad or other tablet for scheduling, PDF copies of IRS pubs, etc; the Livescribe pen to record notes and conversations; ereaders for IRS pubs; any particular software for scheduling, billing, etc.; scanners. I am sure there are others, I was just wondering what people have found to be helpful. Basically, anything you can suggest to help us out in our business. There are all sorts of resources, but what, if anything have you found that really helps the most?

Tums, Aspirin, Coffee, Xanax...

On a more serious note, I learned of one of the most productivity-enhancing items in my office on this forum long ago - multiple monitors for my computers.

Also a desk copy of either The Tax Book or Quickfinder (there are strong opinions on both sides for these two publications).

Here's another accessory I find useful at times:

OfficeSign.pdf

All of the above.; except that I don't use multiple moniters. However, this year I will be using two computers so I don't have to shut down the client I am working on when another client calls with a question. Also, since I work alone in a home office, I have a security camera mounted on the wall where all can see it. (Just in case). I have many reference books on the floor beside my desk. I make and keep appointments in a plain old paper Monthly Planner and have learned to write with pencil instead of pen. When they show up, I highlight the entry.

Have the ringer shut off on my office phone, because I can hear it ringing in the kitchen and that is where the answering machine will pick up if I am with a client. This is probably one of the worse issues of working alone.

I keep a card file with 4 x 6 cards in alphabetical order with all pertinent info for each family that comes in. On the card, I have DOBs, phone numbers, e-mail addresses and anything else that I might want or need to know quickly. When the client comes in, I turn the card up on its side. When they are done and paid, the card goes back down.

Two years ago, we installed a locked drop box near the entry door to the house. This has been a tremendous extra pair of hands for me. Not only can they drop things when I am with another client or gone; but I can open a door at the front which has a large clip inside and leave things for them if I have to be gone. This is just a glorified mailbox. The rest of the general mess that I have, has evolved over the course of many years.

I'm going to add one or two monitors and hope to find one that pivots to portrait shape to display a whole page without scrolling down. Also adding a scanner to work with Scan (and maybe Flow) and my old computer networked in. Already printing to .pdf for my file copies and for anything I received electronically. Having a friendly, local techie network all my equipment for the first time. Schedule in my paper Filofax. Have eFax, so faxes are already in my computer. Have FileShare on my web site. Last year, a carpenter client installed a large mail slot in my front door for drop-offs -- my clients and I love it (no, it was not barter and I paid via check). I have the mobile version (free) of IntelliConnect on my iPhone to have with me; IntelliConnect and Tax Prep Partner (trying for the first time the latter this year) work from within a tax return or even alone for research. Also have virtual tech support and off-site back-up w/VMS in Maine (the old ATX techies). An external hard drive and flash drives for on-site back-ups. OIH, so as well as my office line, I have a house phone with ringer off but caller ID so I can take a call from, say, my husband or sister who's ill in IL but let most go to voice mail, especially when a client's here but even when working alone and not wanting to stop right then. My husband stocks up on chocolate at Cosco before tax season (and then repackages in serving sizes so I don't destroy my hard work at keeping my diabetes under control !!). These message boards are invaluable for heading me to the right sources and for stress relief. That's all off the top of my head. Have to order a new computer now.

Absolutely!!! I forgot to mention the all-important external hard drive and jump drives for backup, backup and backup!

Also, it goes without saying, the sources that this board adds to all of our lives, for all of the reasons that Lion mentioned. This board is, by far, our most valuable tool.

We have a dedicated server with four workstations. The server backs up to a data cartridge daily, and I carry the most recent home every night. We use flash drives for data transfer and temporary storage. We have one printer, two copy machines that print, two scanners and one of the copiers scans. I have dual monitors on my workstation and hope to add them to the other workstations eventually. We are trying to go paperless but so far we are doing everything as both paper and electronic copies. We use a program called Phone Slips for scheduling, which allows all of us to make appointments for each other and access everyone's schedule. I have a BlackBerry smart phone so that I can get my email whether I am in the office or not. It is hard to think of all the ways I use technology - I love it! So much better in many ways than the old pencil and paper days. I love this board, and the help I can get here!

Sort of related to this subject.... any opinions on Kindle vs. Nook? also i need a new phone and am considering Droid 2 [because i like a hard keypord]-any opinions?

You might want to check Catherine's post on Oct. 25 for opinions on e-readers. My smart phone is a BlackBerry Storm 2, and while I have been extremely pleased with it, I miss the hard key pad that I had with my previous LG and wish that I had gone with the Droid. Everyone that I know that has the Droid is very happy with it. There seem to be more available apps for it, and you can get really cool games like Angry Birds for Droid phones if that matters to you. I think that was why my son switched from BlackBerry to Droid. :D

Sort of related to this subject.... any opinions on Kindle vs. Nook? also i need a new phone and am considering Droid 2 [because i like a hard keypord]-any opinions?

I looked at the Sony Reader, Kindle, and Nook (and color Nook, too) (available at the Sony store, Staples, and B&N, in order). A friend highly recommended the Sony - but his need was to be able to put approach maps on the reader (he's a pilot) easily. I was underwhelmed. The e-ink "flashes" with every page turn - and it's a good long flash. I found it annoying - and I found the Sony controls annoying (but don't recall details). The Nook had the same flash issue but not as badly, and the controls, though not intuitive, were OK once I got the quickie tutorial in the store. I really liked the color Nook (with a "live" screen there was no flash), but I didn't like the steep price upgrade or the MUCH shorter battery life (8 hours versus 4 weeks for B&W). I surprised myself by liking the Kindle very much. The e-ink "flash" was more subdued and MUCH faster, the controls more intuitive to my mind. So I have a Kindle on my Christmas list -- and a couple of dozen free e-books ready and waiting (Jane Austen, Sir Walter Scott, William Blake, Bill the Bard, all kinds of good stuff out there for free).