ATX Community

W-2 Printing on Uni-Form

JohnH

So yesterday I finally broke down and ordered ATX for 2010. Program download and update this morning after I got my unlock code were a breeze and everything looks great. I entered payroll data and test printed W-2's for a client, and ran into a small snag. I use the Uni-Form format for W-2's, and all I see in the upper-right quadrant is the employee name & address, company name, and a statement saying "Attached is your 2010 W-2". All the boilerplate is missing.

I searched the knowledgebase and couldn't find any info on this. Is there a preference somewhere that we need to select this year? Or is it just likely that ATX hasn't finished the Uni-Form yet since it isn't really needed for a couple of weeks?

I was thinking along these lines. The nice thing about the Uni-Form is that you put the blank in the printer and in a single pass you get a W-2 ready to give to the employee, plus you can buy several years' worth of blanks at one time. But if you have to run it through the printer a second time to print the boilerplate on the back, you may as well just buy 3-up perforated forms which already have the boilerplate printed on the reverse side.

At first I thought Karen Lee had picked up on something, but then I looked at 2009 and 2010 side by side (thank you dual monitors), and the "Instuctions" tab appears in both years. I think it's there only for printing the back side of W-2 forms other than the Uni-Form.

I posted this question on their official forum as well, just to get a clarification. There is absolutely nothing that I can find in their knowledge base to alert customers to any sort of change to the Uni-Form format. I keep hoping this is something they just haven't cleaned up yet.

After posting my last note, I thought of something else. I use the Uni-Form 1099MISC as well, so I checked to see if it had changed. I think it has the proper layout, with the boilerplate in the upper-right quadrant. I'm going to email tech support directly and ask about this. Will post back here when I hear from them.

Uni-forms are NOT pre-printed forms. They are plain paper perforated forms. Many of us who don't print a lot of W-2s and 1099s; have a supply of them. It would be nice to use them up and they ARE convenient. Most of us also have a supply of envelopes that are made specifically with the windows for uni-forms. Let's find a solution. Go John!!!!

Jack: You might want to look at Publication 1141 about printing forms on plain paper. I understand that lots of employers and preparers have been getting away with using unperforated, plain paper forms wihtout the boilerplate for years. But in this current environment, with penalties moving up the list as a source of revenue, I'd be very cautious about ignoring clear instructions. Especially when the penalty can be $50 per form if they suddenly decide to make an example of you. Peronally, I'll pay 5 cents per form to avoid the remote possibility of $50 per form - that's a good investment any day of the week.

======================================================================

.05 Employee copies of Form W-2 (Copies B, C, and 2), including those that are printed

on a single sheet of paper, must be easily separated. The best method of separation

is to provide perforations between the individual copies. Each copy should be easily

distinguished whatever method of separation is used.

Note. Perforation does not apply to printouts of copies of Forms W-2 that are furnished

electronically to employees (as described in Treasury Regulations Section 31.6051–1(j)).

However, these employees should be cautioned to carefully separate the copies of Form

W-2. See Publication 15-A, Employer’s Supplemental Tax Guide, and new Section 3 of

Part B for information on electronically furnishing Forms W-2 to employees.

AND ALSO:

.19 Instructions similar to those contained on the back of Copies B, C, and 2 of the official

IRS Form W-2 must be provided to each employee. An employer may modify or delete

instructions that do not apply to its employees. (For example, remove Railroad Retirement

Tier 1 and Tier 2 compensation information for nonrailroad employees

There is nothing that allows 1099's to be on plain paper - that I am aware of - although I doubt the IRS is going to complain as long as they are machine readable.

The SSA/IRS instruction about having easily separated W-2 copies is so silly it is funny. What is wrong with expecting someone who you are paying for services to be wise enough to handle a pair of scissors? Sounds like a good "employment skills" test to me... I either get blank perf paper or use a paper cutter to cut plain paper, and print the instructions as a separate page. The instructions can be shortened by removing things that don't apply to your payroll, so one can probably get them to a half page or maybe less.

There is nothing that allows 1099's to be on plain paper - that I am aware of - although I doubt the IRS is going to complain as long as they are machine readable.

The SSA/IRS instruction about having easily separated W-2 copies is so silly it is funny. What is wrong with expecting someone who you are paying for services to be wise enough to handle a pair of scissors? Sounds like a good "employment skills" test to me... I either get blank perf paper or use a paper cutter to cut plain paper, and print the instructions as a separate page. The instructions can be shortened by removing things that don't apply to your payroll, so one can probably get them to a half page or maybe less.

I agree that it's silly, but the rules are right there in black & white and so are the penalties. And the aggravation of giving them instructions on a separate sheet of paper is way past my patience. Better to print them on the face of the Uni-Form as it's being generated and then give each employee (or contractor) a single sheet of paper with everything right in front of them.

My way of doing it is employee copy of W-2's on the Uni-Form; Copy A and W-3 on plain paper, which is also acceptable by their rules. Everything is in black & white for W-2 & W-3.

Contractor copy of the 1099-MISC is also on the Uni-Form and Copy A & 1096 is on Red pre-printed forms. I have one client who issues about 200 1099's - no way I'm risking a $10,000 fine no matter how remote the possibility, when all I have to do is spend $20 for the right forms. which is added to the client's bill anyhow.

To each his own...

We did over 400 1099s in 2009, and mailed not ONE red copy. E-file!! Paper cutter turns two on a page 1099 into single copies very very quickly!!

The IRS can't police major fraud, so the idea of penalties for not using perforated paper is paranoia gone wild!! I can see it now....

"Mr. Tax Preparer, I want to see the copy of W-2 that you sent out for all 350 of your clients. They must be the original so we can verify if the pages are 'easily separated' and thus levy fines accordingly." "Do your clients know that if they make photocopies of the W2s for their employess they must also use perforated paper?" "I will need complete lists of all your clients that made any photocopies of W2s for their clients."

:D :D :D:spaz::rolleyes::scratch_head:

Work-around on the Uni-Form. (sort-of)

ATX still hasn't responded, other than the standard reply telling me to keep updating (thanks for the suggestion, as though I didn't know that). Of course, it's still early, we're just coming off the Christmas holiday, and they are chucking out form updates hourly.

Anyhow, I did find that printing the instructions in half-page layout on the back of the Uni-Form sheet puts everything on the back of the employee copy only. It takes a little trial and error to get everything in the right place the first time. Don't really want to keep doing that, but for the low-volume W-2 clients it works just fine.