ATX Community

IRS Efiling requirement

Pacun

My client is ready to file and all forms are available for him, also tax season starts on January 3 and ends on April 18, 2011. IRS is not ready to receive efile but yet I am required to efile. Will they give me a break if I paper file this return? How about if I have 101 returns between today and Thursday?

You can paper file the tax return by filing a special form where the client elects not to efile plus you will need an adfidavit to cover yourself from the IRS. I am currently on lunch break from a tax seminar, once I finish I will post the form number and on Monday I will scan the affidavit to have for your records, I will share this with everyone who wishes to use it.

MAS

The form you need to fill out is 8948, however check to see if the IRS is accepting returns, certain return will not be accepted until mid or late feb., goes for efile and paper returns. This form is only to be used if the tax payer wishes not to efile his/her return, but as always see the instruction on how to use this form.

I understand that tax season will start for some taxpayers in February. That's why I stated this on my original post "My client is ready to file and all forms are available for him".

I checked form 8948 from IRS and it reads DRAFT. Too many requirements from the IRS this year and it seems they are not ready.

If the client signs the opt-out form you will be safe. If you only have a few opt-outs it is unlikely that the IRS will question you. If you have 100 opt-outs, the IRS may pay you a visit. I would not try filing anything before the IRS is ready to accept e-filings, but you may have a different viewpoint.

I understand that tax season will start for some taxpayers in February. That's why I stated this on my original post "My client is ready to file and all forms are available for him".

I checked form 8948 from IRS and it reads DRAFT. Too many requirements from the IRS this year and it seems they are not ready.

Does your client understand that paper filing will take at least four to six weeks to get his/her refund (if they are getting a refund) and if he waits for another week, he will have it much faster. I agree with the frustrations of the IRS not being ready. But, for the last fourteen years I have not seen them ready on time. The last minute changes are a PITA as well but there isn't anything any of us can do about it. Try to make your client understand that it is best for him/her to be a little patient and efile.

I prepared the returns today and I told them to come back next weekend since the IRS is not ready. They are happy with that since a paper return will take longer anyways to get their refund.

For the last 2 years I have efiled every return whenever possible and I have explained to my clients the advantages of efiling. All of them have accepted to efile and I have saved a bunch of paper, staples, toner, paper jams and time since I don't have to wait for the printer to print. That's without mentioning the frustruation of paper jams and printer maintenance. I LOVE EFILING.

My point is that the IRS is coming hard on preparers that are not ready for efile at full force. The IRS is coming hard on them and the IRS is not ready yet to efile and/or the form is not ready to have clients opt out and keep it for our records.

Calm down. You will not find me defending the IRS very often, but your problem is not being caused by the IRS. The IRS is, no doubt, doing the best they can given the late, late shenanagins of the legislatures. If you have a beef, contact your congressmen and tell them to get their act together.

And as to the forms being available, that has nothing to do with the IRS's systems being properly programmed and ready to receive those returns.

By the way, make sure your client understands also that this is a problem that neither you nor the IRS created.

All the previous years the IRS has not been ready to process returns on January 1 when the tax season starts. They could easily blame it on the postal office in previous times. On the new 21st century when efiling is everywhere, the IRS should be ready earlier. Congress delaying the IRS seems to be the norm in the past couple of years and I hope they don't do it anymore because it slows down the jump start of the economy.

Did you know the refunds from the IRS jump start the economy every year? It is bigger than any stimulus package since in a couple of weeks a lot of money is spent from refunds.

My complaint is not about the forms not being ready. My complaint is that the IRS if forcing any one that prepares more than 100 forms to efile 100% and the IRS is not ready with efile when the season starts. As you can see, they might be a lot of us a bit nervous since they have not embraced efiling from the beggining. If I were one of those, I haven't started this post. I would also be reconsidering accepting new clients since efiling takes a lot of effort the first years. Again, since I efiling everything and I am happy with it, the new regulation doesn't affect me much.

If I were the IRS this could have been my approach:

If you prepare more than 100 returns for tax year 2010, you must efile 25% of all the returns you prepare. No opt out at this level. Next year you have to efile 50% of all your return and the following year, you have to file 100% unless the client opts out. Or they could have said, file 50% for tax year 2010 and 100% for tax year 2011.

I understand that congress was late and I understand that the IRS is late with schedule A, which is the biggest one delay. I do understand that one is not IRS fault.

If your clients have a Sch A, the Tuition and Fees form, or Educator Expense they cannot efile and the IRS says they also do not want returns mailed until the IRS gives the green light (in mid to late Feb). So opting out of efile will not get the returns procesed any sooner if any of these three situations apply to your clients.

• Like 1

If your clients have a Sch A, the Tuition and Fees form, or Educator Expense they cannot efile and the IRS says they also do not want returns mailed until the IRS gives the green light (in mid to late Feb). So opting out of efile will not get the returns procesed any sooner if any of these three situations apply to your clients.

I believe I read that, if anything, it will slow down the process as early returns will be placed in a bin or bins. Obviously, when the green light flashes, the immediate returns will be dealt with first and those in the bin will be gotten around to whenever.

• Like 1