ATX Community

New computer and trsfering data

Marie

Finally, I have purchased a new computer and am having a tech come in and transfer my data. I want to transfer all years I currently have and then will put in my 2010 program. (All ATX) Is there anything I need to tell the tech before he starts. Anyone have any tips, problems, things to look out for, any help at all? All would be appreciated. I am stressing over this and would like assurance everything will go well.

Install the oldest program. Copy the database folder by replacing it on the new computer. Create a new test client. Save it, reopen it, print something and close the new client. Then open one of the returns you transferred from the old computer, test it, resave it, print it and exit out. Make sure everything works before continuing.

Install the next oldest year, copy your database folder again. Create new client, open an existing client, roll over the new test client you created from previous, roll over another client and test. Printing is a good test always.

I can't find 2003 or 2004 archive CD. Is there a reason to move those? I'm keeping my old computer, should I leave those years on it? Would that mess up anything? In 2003 and 2004, did they send out an archive CD?

So, as I understand, I should load the archive program CD first, then load the data file, oldest year first, test, then proceed? In previous years, I did not network, and now I want to. Can I load the old programs as a network instead of a stand alone computer now?

I can't find 2003 or 2004 archive CD. Is there a reason to move those? I'm keeping my old computer, should I leave those years on it? Would that mess up anything? In 2003 and 2004, did they send out an archive CD?

So, as I understand, I should load the archive program CD first, then load the data file, oldest year first, test, then proceed? In previous years, I did not network, and now I want to. Can I load the old programs as a network instead of a stand alone computer now?

Taxbilly is correct that you need to update each program after you load it. Otherwise it will not accept the return files that were created on a newer version of the program. Very easy to do, but important. I don't recall there being so many updates in those early years. I have all the way back to 1999 on this computer and have seldom had any reason to use anything more than six years back. Good Luck.

I would suggest you to install only the previous 3 years on this new computer since you will keep you old one. If not, start with 2005 and move forward. If you use the archived CD, it should include all updates but it doesn't hurt to update on line too.

Don't use the network version for previous years since the main computer will be your old, slow computer. If you insist, you can do it by maping a network drive to the old computer and install from the workstation folder. You don't need CDs for this type of installation but I am not sure when ATX started the network version.

For tax year 2010, install normally on your fast computer and then install ATX on the old computer from the workstation folder, which resides on your fast computer. I posted a link to an ATX video on how to do network installation on a previous post.

I bought a new computer last year and I installed only 2007, 2008, 2009 tax years. For previous years, I fire up the old, slow computer only when needed.