ATX Community

"Not Repsonding" Message

clay

This year, when I open a return, it will often say "not responding". This happens most often when I open a return the first time after it is rolled over.

It also happens occasionally on returns that have been opened more than once.

Thankfully, the program always has "responded" and opened the return or saved it. I have not lost any data and there have not been any failures in executing a save or opening of a return.

I have been using ATX for over 10 years and this is the first year I have seen this happening on a fairly consistent basis. In other years it happened occasionally and again the program "repsonded" properly after about 10 seconds.

I am just a little concerned that at some point the program will not be able to respond.

Anyone else experiencing this???

I've seen that mostly on the networked machine, not the server much. Maybe once on the server.

I have had the program just blatantly and suddenly just crash without warning on the server. It has happened about 5 times after about 350 returns. When it has happened this year, it has been when rolling over a return.

I don't remember a single crash last year or even in previous years.

This is a Windows Operating System characteristic. If the program does not respond as quiclky as the operating system thinks it should, it shows the message. The ATX program does so many things in the background before actually sending info to the screen that the operating system gets impatient and complains via the "not responding" message. The larger the return involved, the longer the delay and the more often the "not responding" message. Also, the more returns in the program, the longer the delay as well.

If the "not responding" message remains for a very long time, (you know what an average amount of time is) then there may be a problem.

Something many people forget, is that there are applications running in the background taking up memory. For example if you have various years of quickbooks on your pc, it's probably running in the background. My PC use to load very fast, now I have to give 10 minutes, if I try to open any program I get the Not Responding message, so if your computer is old and tired, let it load for a couple of minutes, hell I have see clients PC where they would never turn off because of the time they had to wait to load :)

I have seen the message, too. No problems, but it bothers me.

What is REALLY killin me (Smalls) today is that I am working on a 1065, and it is taking FOREVER to calculate after any change. I remember this happened to some extinct in the past, but seems worse than ever. I just want to cry. I am sooooo behind.

Also, how is it that ALL these people have so much time to yak when they come in?

EDIT: OMG I put extinct instead of extent. Do you SEE what they are doing to me?!

You will solve this problem with $1,200. I had that problem and I bought a Windows 7 32bit machine with 4G of RAM. No more problems.

Your computer is getting old and it is short on memory.

Agree. Mid tax year last year, upgraded to Quad Core, Highest possible processor speed, 1 GB hard drive, maximum availible RAM and it cut the processing time of the computer doing tax returns by 75%.

Very Very beneficial investment. BTW, the old computer was only 36 months old.

Invest in a computer with the fastest processor, largest amount of RAM, and a HUGE SATA hard drive. The time you save will pay for the computer in as little as two weeks.

Suck it up and grab the learning curve. It will increase your efficiency and productivity.

Something many people forget, is that there are applications running in the background taking up memory. For example if you have various years of quickbooks on your pc, it's probably running in the background. My PC use to load very fast, now I have to give 10 minutes, if I try to open any program I get the Not Responding message, so if your computer is old and tired, let it load for a couple of minutes, hell I have see clients PC where they would never turn off because of the time they had to wait to load :)

So is quickbooks running in the background even if not open?

So is quickbooks running in the background even if not open?

As years pass and you install programs, a lot of little programs run on the backgroup either at full force or they constantly check for updates. Acrobat and java are very notorious for that. So, even if the program is closed, a part of it runs all the time.

Click on start, run, type msconfig and press enter. Click on the startup tab and see all the programs that run all the time on your computer. ALSO, click on start, all programs and startup.