ATX Community

ATX Customer Service Believes Program Should Be Updated Manually Daily

Chowdahead

I am on the line now with ATX. Apparently there is a particular schedule that my state wants included in every return, yet ATX has not been transmitting in the e-file. So I have clients whose state refunds are being delayed until they receive this schedule. :angry:

Customer Care has the audacity to ask me if I have performed a "manual upate" to my software. I said I have it set to automatically install updates at starup. So it updates everyday automatically, sometimes twice or three times a day if I retart the program more than once.

Oh now. They say that I should perform a manual update each day in addition to an "automatic update". Are these people on drugs? I specifically set it to update automatically because with as busy as I am during tax season the last thing I want to do is worry about remembering to update my tax software! I remembmer a rep telling me this last year as well.

They seem to blame any isseue on the lack of manual updates by the preparer. I told the rep that I am not even going to discuss the issue. When I set it to AUTOMATIC, it should be AUTOMATIC. There is no warning or dialig box that says a manual update should also be done.

Am I being unreasonable in expecting this?

Yep, you are being unreasonable. Especially since you were told the same thing last year. It is just one of those habits that you have to train yourself to do. Just like shaving or taking my daily allergy pills (which I forgot to do today), it is a habit. I do a manual update as soon as I get here in the morning. I do not use the automatic update at all because a few years back it created an issue with the server. So the only update I do is at 6:00 in the morning, every morning. And I am certain that I am no less busy than you. I am in the office by 6:00 A.M and stop working at 10:00 P.M. seven days a week.

The Automatic button is there only for a placeholder. It has no real functioning value.

1) Turn on computer

2) Open tax program

3) Manual update

4) Download all forms

5) Restart the program if necessary.

6) Repeat steps 3 thru 5 at least every 4 hours thru the day.

I started this the very first time the "Automatic" button showed up.

Don't even get me started aboutn Net Framework and "Improvements" to the 2010 software!! See my previous posts...

I also update manually each morning and have turned off the automatic which by the way is the default when you load program for first time. if they don't want you to use automatic why default? My question is when there is a program update along with forms update doesn't it require you to restart the program? I thought it did but it doesn't always tell you to just sometimes. I close out anyway but do you have to after each program update?

I would think that you have to re-open the program after a program update but it has never been an issue for me. I open the program on the server, do the update, re-start the program if it requests, and then shut down the program. Then I go to my workstation and open up the program. So I am restarting the program after every update anyway.

I let mine update automatically on startup, then whenever I take a lunch break I start a manual update just before leaving the computer. Just an easy routine and it works well for me.

KC,

What is this "lunch break" that you take....it sounds familiar...in the back of my mind it seems as if I used to take them myself, but it's been so long ago...just trying to figure it out. :blink:

Cathy

P.S. In the past years, I did only manual updates. So far this year it has been automatic updates only without any problems. However, appreciate the tip and will go back to manual updates every day after the daily start up of my computer. :)