ATX Community

how to handle this mistake

grandmabee

I filed my now 2009 divorced client return for 2010. Used same rollover file and deleted all husband info. I thought !

Some how I used his SS number on the return. and the efile went thru. she got her refunds. but now ex husband tried to efile and was rejected he now has to paper file. so do I file 1040X to change the SS number?

how did it get thru IRS name and # number. Just my luck!

well now I know for sure to just start a new client return and not rollover. It even got thru our checking process.

I would amend his return with his information and then file her as if nothing has happened. Of course I would file both of them for free. Before amending, show them what each is getting back or paying and then ask the wife to fork out his share.

Don't feel bad because this is a typical problem with ATX. I posted a similar experience from last year where I changed the social security number and still kept the old one. I have also have the same problem with direct deposit bank account where it kept the old routing number and the client had to wait for paper check.

I would not file a 1040X before calling the IRS Help Desk, and asking them how best to correct her file with them. Clearly, it should not have gone through with her name and his SSN, but still, it did. I think I'd just file his [for free, of course] as a paper return, and then do whatever the IRS advises to get her account corrected.

I would amend his return with his information and then file her as if nothing has happened. Of course I would file both of them for free. Before amending, show them what each is getting back or paying and then ask the wife to fork out his share.

Don't feel bad because this is a typical problem with ATX. I posted a similar experience from last year where I changed the social security number and still kept the old one. I have also have the same problem with direct deposit bank account where it kept the old routing number and the client had to wait for paper check.

I talked to IRS practitioner priority line and they took all the information and said she could correct my clients information with the wrong SS number. return is correct only thing wrong is SS number. refund was posted to a back joint return with a balance due which we knew would happen.

I am just surprised that the efile went thru with wrong SS number. and now the ex must file paper.

Doesn't the IRS use the social and the first 4 characters of the last name to check a return. If that is the case, it would make perfect sense that Husband named Smith would go through as 123-45-5678SMIT and Wife also named Smith would go through as 876-54-3210SMIT if they are both legitimate SS#'s.

Just thinking out loud.

Tom

Lodi, CA

Well, that explains a lot, and should take some of the embarrassment from you, since the ex-hubby is getting a benefit from the return, as the old debt was a joint one.

they already agreed the debt was hers. she took out some retirement on their last final return together. I fessed up to making a very big mistake and I can't take back. Doesn't cost them anything just will slow down the ex return because of paper. But can anyone tell me how it got thru efile with the SS # not matching the name?

Doesn't the IRS use the social and the first 4 characters of the last name to check a return. If that is the case, it would make perfect sense that Husband named Smith would go through as 123-45-5678SMIT and Wife also named Smith would go through as 876-54-3210SMIT if they are both legitimate SS#'s.

Just thinking out loud.

Tom

Lodi, CA

they already agreed the debt was hers. she took out some retirement on their last final return together.

Well, actually, it does still help him, since on a joint return, if she did not pay it, they would have taken his refund to pay it. In fact, if there is still a balance due, they will do that still. So she should pay any balance before he files, to be fair to him. Delaying his filing might, in that case, have been a good thing for him.

Well, actually, it does still help him, since on a joint return, if she did not pay it, they would have taken his refund to pay it. In fact, if there is still a balance due, they will do that still. So she should pay any balance before he files, to be fair to him. Delaying his filing might, in that case, have been a good thing for him.

Technically, the IRS already retained his refund. Up to this morning, he was the only one who had filed.

I believe the matching is done by SSN and first 4 chars of last name. While unfortunate, seems logical that it would go through with the mis-match you had on your return.

I efile her with smith and 123-45-6789 never mind I see..... IRS thinks it his return filed not hers

that's why when he tried to efile it was rejected because he was filing using his correct number and she had already used it.

I efile her with smith and 123-45-6789 never mind I see..... IRS thinks it his return filed not hers

that's why when he tried to efile it was rejected because he was filing using his correct number and she had already used it.

Did you change the birth date also. This should have kicked it back. The match SS Last four and BD.

Linda and buddy