ATX Community

Social Security Benefits Taxed

taxguy057

Same arguement every year with someone. I had to tell a client this morning that it doesn't matter if you are 90, if you have too much income, your SS will be taxed proportionately.

I always wonder where people come up with this thing of when you retire and turn age 65+ you can make as much money as you want and SS will not be touch... :wall:

I always wonder where people come up with this thing of when you retire and turn age 65+ you can make as much money as you want and SS will not be touch... :wall:

It comes from the SS rules on income. After you reach a certain age (I think it is 70), you can earn as much money as you want without having your SS benefits reduced. Over time this explanation has morphed into the belief that you don't have to pay taxes on your SS after you reach that age.

Tom

Lodi, CA

It comes from the SS rules on income. After you reach a certain age (I think it is 70), you can earn as much money as you want without having your SS benefits reduced. Over time this explanation has morphed into the belief that you don't have to pay taxes on your SS after you reach that age.

Tom

Lodi, CA

OHHHHHHH!!!! DING!! Now I got it.... :P

Same arguement every year with someone. I had to tell a client this morning that it doesn't matter if you are 90, if you have too much income, your SS will be taxed proportionately.

Yeah, and then that old codger makes it to 91 just to spite you.

had another one last night. Took $10 K out of retirement to pay for a camping trailer; no tax withheld. "But, I thought you didn't have to pay taxes on SS". So, now they will pay 15% tax on this money when they could have taken out a loan for 5 or 6% and deducted the interest as they are able to itemize. They will also pay tax on 23 K of SS. I told my husband that I wish some of these people would go somewhere else. And, why do they wait until the last week?......because they know they are going to have to pay, but then they try to make it sound like it is the preparer's fault. UGH!

End of vent......back to work on the clients who appreciate me.