ATX Community

ATX and XP/7

SunTaxMan

I am getting ready, by necessity, to clean computer. I have XP. I remember discussion about an ATX incompatibility with Windows 7. My computer guru wants to know if the incompatibility is with 64 or 32 bit.

Also, he tells me that within Win7 is the capability to operate with a "virtual XP." Does this have any significance to the incompatibility issue?

I would like to know what years are not compatible with Win 7.

Thanks,

I just got a new computer with Windows 7 Premium Home Version 64 Bit and have installed 08-10 of ATX and didn't have a single problem. I absolutely love the speed and ease of operation. It takes a little getting use to because popular things of XP have changed a litle bit, but everything seems to be great with my new system.

Deb!

Here's a caution with Windows 7 Home (any home) version: you CANNOT back up to a network drive using Windows backup!!

We just discovered this last night with my daughter's computer. Online (Carbonite, iDrive, Mozy) works fine; back up to an _attached_ hard drive, CD, or thumb drive is fine. But Windows backup to network drive is not possible unless you have a Windows 7 Professional version.

I do not know if outside backup software (Acronis True Image, Norton Ghost, etc.) works as we haven't tried that yet (we use Acronis here).

If you want the capability to do a "cold metal restore" (all your executables and peripherals, not just your data), you need to be able to back up properly for that. The online folks only get your data, NOT your programs or peripheral installations.

Catherine

Here's a caution with Windows 7 Home (any home) version: you CANNOT back up to a network drive using Windows backup!!

We just discovered this last night with my daughter's computer. Online (Carbonite, iDrive, Mozy) works fine; back up to an _attached_ hard drive, CD, or thumb drive is fine. But Windows backup to network drive is not possible unless you have a Windows 7 Professional version.

I do not know if outside backup software (Acronis True Image, Norton Ghost, etc.) works as we haven't tried that yet (we use Acronis here).

If you want the capability to do a "cold metal restore" (all your executables and peripherals, not just your data), you need to be able to back up properly for that. The online folks only get your data, NOT your programs or peripheral installations.

Catherine