ATX Community

Mailing Forms W-2 and W-3 to SSA

Gail in Virginia

We have always provided printed copies to our clients for them to mail to SSA when we prepare their W-2s for them. We usually ask them to hold them for a couple of weeks after they hand out the employees' copies in case someone suddenly remembers that they changed their name this year or moved. We have always given them red copies, and a 9x11 envelope for mailing because the W-2 forms say "DO NOT CUT, FOLD OR STAPLE."

Is this really necessary? I hate using these big envelopes and paying extra postage, especially for the smaller employers who only have three or four pages total to put in the envelope. But I like not having to remember to go back and e-file everything, and instead putting it onto the the employer to get these filed. Anyone have any experience with what happens if you fold (gasp!) a Copy A W-2?

I avoid the red ink problem by filing through Business Services Online, part of SSA. I do print out a copy of the W-3 for clients clearly stamped Client Copy and also provide the printout of the acceptance of the submission to SSA.

When I began receiving computer printouts of W-2's from clients whose employers do not issue them and require them to access online and print out their own, I stopped being so worried about the requirement to provide on perforated paper. I still have a stock of Uniform sheets that I use sometimes but not for 1099's which I also efile.

Not to my knowledge, but IIRC, the fee can be $50 per form for non-compliance. Since the instructions are anal enough to require the employee copies to be separated or perforated (explicitly not allowed to have the employees just cut the forms), I have not tried folding.

And yet one of the remaining local manufacturing plants has always issued theirs four to a sheet, perforated horizontally but with a dotted line and a cute little sissors icon vertically.