ATX Community

Roth IRA -> phase out

ILLMAS

Due to income OP said Roth contributions are phased out. But they qualify (earned income, etc.) to make traditional contributions. With no more phase outs for CONVERSIONS, they can convert to a Roth immediately. If no other traditional contributions over the years, they won't have to worry about earnings, ratios of with vs without basis, etc. Back door Roth.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Due to income OP said Roth contributions are phased out. But they qualify (earned income, etc.) to make traditional contributions. With no more phase outs for CONVERSIONS, they can convert to a Roth immediately. If no other traditional contributions over the years, they won't have to worry about earnings, ratios of with vs without basis, etc. Back door Roth.

I have clients who are doing the "back door Roth" trick.

Also keep in mind those 8606's for STATE returns!! Mass. (for example) has never recognized the IRA deduction from income, so for state purposes, we have to track basis anyway. My older clients just -love- this little tidbit when I tell them. Some started contributing to IRA's when they first came out and now have to reconstruct their contributions (because they didn't know to track them).