ATX Community

NT-Wonderful News ALMOST

kcjenkins

Don't worry about calling 911! My son's a fireman and they'd much rather a family member call them than injure themselves trying to do it alone.

Next thing, KC, is for you to take care of yourself so you can take care of your husband. It's very, very important for a caregiver to arrange time (on a continual basis) to take care of yourself...be it a 24 hour break or whatever time you can arrange....your batteries have to be recharged which in turn will benefit both of you!

Please know that you and your husband will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Take care (usually say this...but I really mean for you to "take care of YOURSELF),

Cathy

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you, my darling friends. I really, really, really appreciate all your good thoughts coming my way. I'm trying to arrange enough time to at least get my hair cut this week. It's just not that simple when you live out in the country like we do. Just going to shop at the grocery store means being gone an hour or two. Actually taking off for something for me seems to be beyond me right now. At least I have gotten the time for the beauty shop this week. I'm not vain, but I really do like my hair short enough not to bother me and curly enough not to scare anyone I see. LOL

• Like 1

As others have said, having a bit of time for yourself is really necessary. Getting a caretaker to come in for even a few hours so you can go to the salon, get your groceries, and even sit down with a friend for a cup of coffee or lunch will go a long way towards keeping your sanity, and you'll go back refreshed. Avoiding burnout is something we all know about!

• Like 1

I totally agree with Joan. And remember, no matter how stressful tax season got, you knew it was only a few months. Hopefully, your husband will be around a long time yet and you have to be prepared to deal with this for an indefinite period of time even if he improves. So remember to take care of yourself so you can take care of him!

• Like 1

I'm so sorry. I can imagine your immune system is worn out. Do what you doctor says to take care of yourself. And, have a manicure!

My husband's having his shoulder replaced in June. It's not a long recuperation. But, I already told him I'm hiring a husband-sitter so I can go to our daughter's concert. Schedule yourself some time every week.