ATX Community

Letter from ATX

DevM

Just recevied this from ATX..

To our valued ATX customers,

We realize that some customers are experiencing challenges with their ATX software as they prepare for filing season. We apologize sincerely for any inconvenience this may have caused. We are working very hard to correct these issues. We have hundreds of dedicated employees across a number of departments developing software updates and working with customers to help resolve the difficulties you are facing. You can be confident that our most recent update and those to come will improve ATX performance.

We understand your business demands tax software you can count on and a company you can rely on. Our employees are dedicated to your success and to upholding ATX's 28-year history of product excellence. We are steadfast in our commitment to ensuring that, through this unusual, time-challenged tax season, ATX will provide you with the high-quality product and service you need.

To help you get the most out of the enhancements and new functionality in the 2012 edition of ATX, we have developed a webinar entitled What's New in 2012 ATX: Enhancements, Features and More. We are offering this webinar at no charge several times over the next few weeks, and I hope you will take advantage of it. To register for the webinar, click here.

I want to thank you for your continued business and patience. We will work hard to continue to earn your trust.

I clicked on the link for the webinar and there's no spot to register, or at least none that I can find. There's a link for 'view details', then directs the reader back to the original site.

Lynn

Scroll all the way to the bottom of the details page. There is a register button at the bottom of the page that works. Do not use the link embedded in the details narrative.

Maribeth

I want an apology and a discount from ATX. Nothing short of that is acceptable. Even if ATX 2012 turns out to be the best software ever made by 01/30, there is NO excuse for trying to "fix what wasn't broken so late in the year and distributing a unuseable, untested piece of garbage and using all of us as beta testers.

I doubt we will get either

I doubt I will be an ATX customer next season.

Drake

I'm still holding out to see what happens with ATX. I bought a stand-alone W-2 & 1099 program just to get that task done while still waiting to see if ATX gets their act together. That's $40 I shouldn't have needed to spend, but good insurance, IMO.

But if ATX isn't ready to roll by the end of Jan, I'll switch to Drake. It's an excellent alternative to ATX.

Drake

But if ATX isn't ready to roll by the end of Jan, I'll switch to Drake. It's an excellent alternative to ATX.

Is Drake offering any meaningful discount for those jumping ship. Their price goes down to 1045 after tax season but before that the full price is 1495?

So all you preparers ready to jump ship... Are you ready to deal with the conversion errors and the learning curve of a new program?

Tell me how I justify that for the firm I work for with 8 preparers and 2,900+ returns? How do I justify that for my private practice with 160 clients and 200 returns?

It is middle of January... I'm not willing to enter all returns totally into a new program. Getting conversions takes at least 14 days or so.

Just my thinking.....

• Like 1

You have my sympathy - I really mean that. My practice is small and I'm in the process of downsizing, so I can wait this out. But for somene in your situation this has to be maddening. You are absolutely right about conversions - I've done several conversions over the years and every one of them had its share of difficulties & unexpected data drops.

I expect that whatever happens this season, you surely must already be thinking about how to handle things next year.

You hit the nail in the head! It is the conversion of existing clients that is the biggest challenge. Some companies like Drake seem to do it better than others depending on the return type. I was told Drake has a level 2 conversion program for 1040 clients where you send them your data files and they convert and install in your program. But time is of the essence a week from the opening bell! If the price is not an issue for you, perhaps you can get a conditional gaurantee that if yu are not happy with the conversion results then you can get your money back. I read in another post that Drake did this for Taxworks users.

Problems Problems !!

The same issue exists. Changing software is a HUGE deal for us. No matter when, if we choose to change, it is a GIANT problem.

You do know that this change was 5 years overdue. ATX has had issues with not being compatible with the common server software since 2006? Add that to it not being compatible with Microsoft Netframework 4, which is used on all Win 7 and newer Microsoft OS. The only reason ATX was compatible with WIN 7 was WIN 7's ability to emulate XP.

Give the software technicians a break.

• Like 1

You hit the nail in the head! It is the conversion of existing clients that is the biggest challenge. Some companies like Drake seem to do it better than others depending on the return type. I was told Drake has a level 2 conversion program for 1040 clients where you send them your data files and they convert and install in your program. But time is of the essence a week from the opening bell! If the price is not an issue for you, perhaps you can get a conditional gaurantee that if yu are not happy with the conversion results then you can get your money back. I read in another post that Drake did this for Taxworks users.

Problems Problems !!

Not sure on all the competitor software, but Drake has downloadable conversions for most products. You download their converter run it on your computer and it converts basic taxpayer information into Drake. So you could buy and then same-day setup and convert, no need to send your data to them.

The same issue exists. Changing software is a HUGE deal for us. No matter when, if we choose to change, it is a GIANT problem.

You do know that this change was 5 years overdue. ATX has had issues with not being compatible with the common server software since 2006? Add that to it not being compatible with Microsoft Netframework 4, which is used on all Win 7 and newer Microsoft OS. The only reason ATX was compatible with WIN 7 was WIN 7's ability to emulate XP.

Give the software technicians a break.

So assuming this is true then ATX and may be TaxWorks have already taken the hit this year and can coast next year. Is Taxwise and Drake next to take a hit??

Why do software company management decide to do this so close to tax season start. Are the programmers at the beach all summer long? I can't understand. Even my snow plowing clients do all their equip. maintenance when it is 90F outside. What's up with the logic for tax software companies, that they shoot themselves in the foot!

I am not yet ready to give up on ATX. Our problems have not been as severe as some, despite running on a network. I really don't like change. We used Drake a few years ago, and while their customer service was excellent I prefer the forms based software of ATX. I did get an interesting email offering $300 off this week only on Pro Series, But I really like ATX usually.

• Like 1

The tax software companies that saw blood in the water started sending those letters and e-mails this month. I think I got from all company except Drake!

Intuit even puts a flag on their website that they will do emergency conversion for Taxwork users.

Spoke to the Drake guy and they are just raking it in this year!

The product has been in development for a while. It's a major undertaking to change a platform so there's no way they could have started at the last minute and got anything out by the release date. I saw a version of 2012 at the User Conference in Atlanta. And it was overdue, as the earlier poster said.

If we think it's tough to learn a software with modifications, think about learning a completely different software. Ugh. And conversions never go like they promise. Not the ideal situation for any of us but I believe they are trying.

• Like 1

I want an apology and a discount from ATX. Nothing short of that is acceptable. Even if ATX 2012 turns out to be the best software ever made by 01/30, there is NO excuse for trying to "fix what wasn't broken so late in the year and distributing a unuseable, untested piece of garbage and using all of us as beta testers.

I doubt we will get either

I doubt I will be an ATX customer next season.

Agreed, it seems Drake is the next most similar software?

Thanks Jack,

I am willing to spend an entire week to relearn new software based on the ATX importing/exporting mess alone (sorry, not to sidetrack the thread but you seem knowledgable with ATX moreso than general customer service). Any thoughts on my issues below?

Best.

Why are you using import/export of returns this early in season?

Drake is the most reliable alternative, has excellent customer support, and is in the same general price range.

In looking at posts on other forums, the Drake customers consistently rave about the quality of their customer support. They have the most loyal customer base of any software provider I'm aware of.

Why are you using import/export of returns this early in season?

Hi Jack - can you please respond on my thread as to not sidetrack OP's post?

Other 2 options - 1. Backup currently does not work as forced alternative (walked through with CS), and 2. "Save" feature just places to return my Return Manager.

We've Imported/Exported for the past 7 years with ATX no problem since we are accessing the ATX program from local computers but storing the data on a shared network folder. The import/export feature hast not given us issues for the past 7 years except for this 2012 version due to the points outlined in my post. Thanks.

We've Imported/Exported for the past 7 years with ATX no problem since we are accessing the ATX program from local computers but storing the data on a shared network folder. The import/export feature hast not given us issues for the past 7 years except for this 2012 version due to the points outlined in my post. Thanks.

Just because you have done this for years doesn't make it the optimal approach! Seems like all kinds of extra work when instead you can set ATX up in a network mode and share the data easily that way.

• Like 1