ATX Community

Other Software

Bill N Debbie

I think ProSeries looks better than Drake.

Proseries has a better form entry setup, similar to ATX.

Drake's form entry is very basic and calculations do not flow back to worksheets, only to the final form (eg on Sch E workesheet, automobiles, there is a secondary worksheet to enter the info on the automobile but the info does not flow back into the E worksheet, only onto the actual Sch E. On depreciation, you must enter every piece of info, unlike Proseries and ATX that automatically populate the depreciation info after you select the item being depreciated (eg, Sch E, select building and it enters 27.5 years, etc.)

Looks like Drake has a good feature, similar to ATX's for importing a csv file of stock transactions but Proseries has an Import function that looks OK, but I do not know enough about it to say the feature is as good as Drakes.

Drake has some extras you will not find in Proseries, such as your own web page.

I've been loyal to ATX for about 15 years, but I'm in the fed up camp. Even if this turns out good later on in the season, I'm seriously considering going to Drake. I do just enough of a little bit of everything and need research tools too, so I each year I purchase MAX. This year with the early renewal discount the MAX program cost me $1700. Drake's full program including the write-up software so to process W-2s and payroll returns would have been $200 less than the discounted ATX. I'm also wondering if by splitting out the payroll/w-2 program, that CCH will be charging for this separately in the future.

Thanks for the replies. Has anyone used or looked at TaxSlayerPro?

I have not used TaxSlayerPro.

Have you looked at OLTPRO? I'm using it and for me personally, it's working very well. VERY strongly forms entry. The problem is you can't download a demo or the actual software, it comes in a CD. Maybe if you requested this late, they'd let you download it somehow.

OLTPRO is a desktop product. They have an online version but it's strictly a 1040 program so I don't use it.

JKLCPA expressed it very well. I don't have as long with ATX, but I have to admit to being incredulous that a perfectly good program in 2011 and earlier years could be so thoroughly butchered for 2012. Does anyone know what happened (not that I'd understand programming specifics.....)? An average "full," fairly complex federal and state return account from 2011 opens in 17 seconds. That same client's empty 2012 rolled-over file takes more than 3 minutes. If this isn't fixed, I'll never be able to finish in a timely way. The so-called improvements---the pretty colors, allegedly changeable letter templates, form print ordering, etc.---are totally worthless to me (and others?) if they come at a cost of such radical speed performance degradation.

I don't fault ATX at all for the inexcusable nonsense from Washington. I have to think that all the software companies are in the same buffetted boat. I wouldn't care if ATX simply populated the program with their own best guess of 2012 forms suitably watermarked, but to launch the product to us when it has such radical performance problems---something any beta tester would have picked up immediately---makes me wonder if ATX is even remotely concerned about its own future.

I'm not one for drama or artificial anxiety, but I admit to significant apprehension and wonder if I'm being unreasonable or off base.

I just called Drake tech support and a man answered within 5 seconds and answered my questions about whether out current network environment would work. And if I called ATX Tech Support right now....?

Automated message states that they are moderating all incoming calls (not taking any) so to help those already in the queue. Then it hangs up. There is no telephone support for new callers right now.

You'll pay through the nose for Drake if you buy it this time of year.

Depending on how many returns you do, take a look at TaxAct (Preparer version). ProSeries also has some inexpensive options if you don't do too many returns. Both strike me a very reliable.

I guess this depends on what you've paid for the nonfunctional ATX. I purchased Total Tax Office and paid $1700 last May with the early renewal discount. Drake would cost me $1495 plus $89 to have online research for a total of $1584, and the number of returns I prepare puts me right at the point in their pricing where per return is equivalent to the full program. If I ask for a refund from ATX now, I'd be charged $120 for the 6 files I've processed in the payroll program, so with that subtracted, my cost for Drake would be equivalent to the refund I'd receive from ATX. Drake's sale rep told me that 2011 users that renewed early for 2012 received a $400 discount on this year's full program and paid just $1095. I never count on those policies continuing in future years, but that would be icing on the cake for me at this point.

JRog, like I said on the other post, once you get the frikkin forms loaded and up to date, the returns open very quickly. I always test on my own return; Sch A, Sch B, Sch C, 4 rentals and associated depreciation, 1116, 8829, Sch D, 8582, 4797, CA forms, and more. It opened in few seconds the second time today I opened it. The first time I had forms to update.