ATX Community

Printing in 2012 ATX is a pain.

Eli

I have been struggling with the same problem. Screen says to change the default printer in the returns but when I click on the print icon in a return I get a different printer. Even following the video tutorial and reading the user manual, I still cannot understand how to change what will be printed.

I have a return with 2 sch C and SE. The program selects the 2 Cs to print but not the 2 SEs. However the billing does bill for the SE so I guess I am ahead!!!

I'm not going to say anything to defend the printing manager, I have several gripes with it. But I will suggest one steo that I have used for years to make it work better. Yeah, takes a little more time, which is irritating, but still.....

I always set my Fineprint PDF printer as my default. printer. That way, I can look it over, delete any form that shows up that I did not mean to include, then I can save it, add anything I want to add, then print the pdf to my laser printer when I want to. I've found the extra pages I don't accidentally print is worth the time this step costs me.

• Like 1

I'm not going to say anything to defend the printing manager, I have several gripes with it. But I will suggest one steo that I have used for years to make it work better. Yeah, takes a little more time, which is irritating, but still.....

I always set my Fineprint PDF printer as my default. printer. That way, I can look it over, delete any form that shows up that I did not mean to include, then I can save it, add anything I want to add, then print the pdf to my laser printer when I want to. I've found the extra pages I don't accidentally print is worth the time this step costs me.

Agree wholeheartedly with you KC. In fact, the gawd-awful print manager in ATX is why we went to FinePrint and pdfFactory pro several years ago. They are worth every penny and worth the extra time spent in deleting & rearranging pages virtually. Would never, ever be without those products now. They are a integral part of our business.

Have they taken away the custom print option this year?

I like to print what pages I want and I did like the save previous print jobs.

The custom print option is still there. That is what I always have used, but have not tried it yet for this year. You can also save the previous print job. We shall see.

I just printed my first return. Watch the defaults-I printed a filing copy by mistake because after closing the print manager, I forgot to check the default copy. the watermark will print on the client copy if you select that in 'preferences' even though it's not showing in the print manager. There is the ability to print a custom watermark which is nice-'draft' or 'proforma' are ones I use. Less stamping required!

The print preview is really, really, slow. But it does work. Eventually.

Yeah Joan, I discovered that Thursday night. I printed a partnership return but fortunately to Paperless Plus (which prints it as a pdf). But it had the watermark all over it. If I wanted it on there it looked great, But I did not want it on their. I will mark that one up as pilot error. I have now unchecked the box in preferences and I just printed a 1040 and there were no watermarks. Somebody on another board also suggested printing to pdf first. It does require an extra step but the printing seems to go faster.

I've been playing around with my 'print packets' which you can customize in the Print options (the button to change them is way down at the bottom of the window). A lot of the 'default' settings aren't what I want, so I've been working at changing them to 'never', like for the W-2 worksheet. Using these packets (you can set them differently for client, filing, preparer, and custom) should get rid of the continual unchecking of boxes for stuff that ATX set as default to print, but I never wanted a copy of. I'm finding a lot of neat worksheets & stuff, like the tax summary, that I never knew were there.

One issue is that the 'federal copy for state filing' is a default setting to print and I haven't been able to get that default setting changed, so I have to remember to uncheck that if I don't want it.

• Like 1

Printers are old, but drivers are up to date. Had to update the drivers to get them to work with win7. Came up with a work around. Use PDF Complete which is on my computer and not the delivered ATX 2012 PDF printer and it works fine. But can't get it to show that printer on the filing copy in the print mangager, so I used the preparer copy, picked the PDF Complete printer, told the software I did not want to use the ATX 2012 PDF printer when the caution came up, and it worked like a charm.

This software is really quirky this year. My wife had a good quote a few minutes ago "It seems like we are working harder for this software than the software is working for us." We did 6 simple returns today. Very simple. Took most of the day. I am bushed and these were very simple returns.

Tom

Hollister, CA

I'm using the ATX 2012 PDF printing and it's working very well, and very fast.

Hey, I did two very simple returns yesterday before I boneheadedly locked myself out of the admin function of the program (I can still prepare as my assistant though, but I can't file anything... :wall: )

Part of the issue is just getting used to the program. Usually by this time, I've been playing around in it with my own return for a month or two, and have printed out several simple returns. The print manager is very different from past years, but I think if I had watched the training video, I'd be in better shape. Might do that with my assistant tomorrow while I expect to be on hold with Tex Upport.