ATX Community

Gambling winnings vs losses

Janitor Bob

>>it looked even more confusing to me as they tried to define session<<

It is worth figuring out though. The problem in the original post is that "Client won $2300, but in doing so, spent $4,200." If he doesn't itemize deductions, he gets taxed on $2300. Even if he does itemize, his AGI is still $2300 higher.

There are two ways to reduce the $2300. First subtract basis, that is, the amount of the winning wager. If you won $2300 with a $5 lottery ticket, that's only $2295 on Form 1040.

Then deduct non-winning wagers from the same session, poorly defined variously as a single game, a table, a day of playing, etc. So if you dropped all $4200 in one afternoon playing roulette, during which one spin came up plus $2300, in spite of that W-2G you don't have to report anything because you had a net loss in that session. In fact, if you won again the next day playing keno, you could offset it with the roulette loss on Schedule A.

The way you pull that off is with a contemporaneous logbook and other documentation showing the details required in Pub 529.

>>it looked even more confusing to me as they tried to define session<<

It is worth figuring out though. The problem in the original post is that "Client won $2300, but in doing so, spent $4,200." If he doesn't itemize deductions, he gets taxed on $2300. Even if he does itemize, his AGI is still $2300 higher.

There are two ways to reduce the $2300. First subtract basis, that is, the amount of the winning wager. If you won $2300 with a $5 lottery ticket, that's only $2295 on Form 1040.

Then deduct non-winning wagers from the same session, poorly defined variously as a single game, a table, a day of playing, etc. So if you dropped all $4200 in one afternoon playing roulette, during which one spin came up plus $2300, in spite of that W-2G you don't have to report anything because you had a net loss in that session. In fact, if you won again the next day playing keno, you could offset it with the roulette loss on Schedule A.

The way you pull that off is with a contemporaneous logbook and other documentation showing the details required in Pub 529.

and there is the rub...LOL! grandma or anyone else does not have this logbook.

>>grandma or anyone else does not have this logbook<<

Then they need a better tax advisor! Look, when your client comes in and says they took business contacts to lunch, you tell them they need a logbook for their mileage and entertainment expenses, right? Same thing when they ask about gaming. You might miss it the first time, but not after that. Pub 529 tells them exactly what they need so you can print that page for them.

>>grandma or anyone else does not have this logbook<<

Then they need a better tax advisor! Look, when your client comes in and says they took business contacts to lunch, you tell them they need a logbook for their mileage and entertainment expenses, right? Same thing when they ask about gaming. You might miss it the first time, but not after that. Pub 529 tells them exactly what they need so you can print that page for them.

who said i don't tell them about recordkeeping? oh, it was you, mr strawman.

i guess a better tax advisor doesn't need adequate logical skills.

>>i guess a better tax advisor doesn't need adequate logical skills.<<

Sorry if I offended you, but I stand by my statement. In my opinion, ineffective advice is no better than wrong advice. Neither one gets the job done.

"but...blah, blah, blah"...since you insist on spinning your better tax advisor strawman fallacy, you are not sorry about anything asshat...sorry if i offend you.

what % of the gambling public do you think has a log book? my guess...less than 5%.

"but...blah, blah, blah"...since you insist on spinning your better tax advisor strawman fallacy, you are not sorry about anything asshat...sorry if i offend you.

what % of the gambling public do you think has a log book? my guess...less than 5%.

Yes, and they are screwed on audit. The rules are the rules.

And how many do you think pay on all their wins, not just what shows up on a W2G?

Your professionalism and public speaking ethics are showing very clearly!!!

Insincere apologies are as sickening as calling someone a vulgar name in public.

Just my observation....

• Like 2

>>"but...blah, blah, blah"<<

That is unkind and I don't deserve it, SCL. Nobody on this forum cites actual regulations and procedures more than I do. Nor does anyone identify interpretation as "my opinion" more than I do. My participation here has always carried a strong theme of high ethics and solid professionalism. All of this is exemplified in this very thread. If you don't like it, you don't need to read my posts.

>>"but...blah, blah, blah"<<

That is unkind and I don't deserve it, SCL. Nobody on this forum cites actual regulations and procedures more than I do. Nor does anyone identify interpretation as "my opinion" more than I do. My participation here has always carried a strong theme of high ethics and solid professionalism. All of this is exemplified in this very thread. If you don't like it, you don't need to read my posts.

jeez jainen...put on your big boy pants. do you think you have a free pass to run over posters without some blowback?

you ignore your ad hominem/strawman attack at me that started this mess..."Then they need a better tax advisor!"

i don't disagree with your references to proper tax law and procedure. in fact, i appreciate it, learn from it, and almost always agree with it.