ATX Community

NT- My son the pilot-just bragging

NECPA in NEBRASKA

A follow up on my posts from last year. My son, the 18 year old pilot, was offered a job last week flying for Wings of Alaska out of Juneau for a summer job. He is leaving for 60 hours of ground school in April and has to miss a week and a half of school, but his professor's are so happy for him that they are working with him to get everything done before he leaves and can just come back for his finals at the end of the month. In Alaska they fly with different rules than in the lower 48 so he only needed 500 hours and doesn't have to be 23. This is a great opportunity for him and pretty amazing, but it is pretty scary for his dad and me. I am really proud of him, but I was hoping that he would just manage the pool here and keep instructing at the airport for the summer. I may try to get up there some time, because it looks really beautiful. Since he is leaving, I am taking a few days off in March to go to Colorado while he goes skiing so that I can spend some time with him. I don't even care if it is tax season! He says that he needs to learn to shoot a gun, because of bears and moose. I'm not sure if he is kidding me or not. :)

• Like 3

Congrats to all of you! I remember your post(s), because my nephew was about a year ahead of your son in lessons. He "started" with a flight during his freshman year of college, and was a CFI before graduation (worked like a dog, school, jobs, and lessons).

Make sure your son keeps education a priority, my nephew always said college degree is a MUST to all airlines. He is now flying for Skywest and loves it, and speaks very highly of the company.

Again, congrats,

Jim

• Like 1

That is good to know, Jim. He has really worked hard and has his CFII already and is working on his multi-engine this semester at college. This has been his passion since he started flying flight sims at 7. He doesn't care if he goes with an airline or is a corporate pilot as long as he can fly. He knows how important his degree is even though he is still an impatient teenager and wants to grow up right now.