ATX Community

NT-Garage door mystery

Margaret CPA in OH

I work from my home office. Just now, within a span of about 5 minutes, my garage door opened. Looked around and saw nothing. This happened about a week ago, too, but only once.

Soooo, I'm getting nervous that someone is messing with my mind (easy to do) and/or checking to see if their door opener works on other garages. That would make it easy to enter when I'm away or snoozing.

If anyone knows how to reset the code or has other suggestions about this issue and would share them, I would be most grateful.

You should check your instruction manual. If you no longer have it, contact the maker for them. My opener & remote have a randomly changing code that requires a specific sequence of steps to reset for a new sequence. This is also the procedure when either of the 2 remotes or keypad requires a battery change.

I can relate to that "messing with your mind" worrying. I've left the house & later wondered things like: did I unplug the iron, shut the garage door, did I leave a dog out in the yard?"

You should check your instruction manual. If you no longer have it, contact the maker for them. My opener & remote have a randomly changing code that requires a specific sequence of steps to reset for a new sequence. This is also the procedure when either of the 2 remotes or keypad requires a battery change.

I can relate to that "messing with your mind" worrying. I've left the house & later wondered things like: did I unplug the iron, shut the garage door, did I leave a dog out in the yard?"

How about "Did I leave the stove on?"

Booger

I remember way back when Russia launched their first sputnik, a homeowner in, I believe Ohio, noticed that every once in a while his garage door would open on its own. It was later determined that the time the door would open coincided with the time the sputnik would pass overhead. For you younger members, a sputnik was the Russian name for a satelite.

Gene

Soooo, I'm getting nervous that someone is messing with my mind (easy to do) and/or checking to see if their door opener works on other garages. That would make it easy to enter when I'm away or snoozing.

People have tried to mess with my mind but have found nothing there.

Not a garage door, but I have a remote for my TV in the living room that when I hit the right combination of buttons will cause my car to lock the doors and honk the horn to let me know. It got me so paranoid for the longest time, but eventually I figured out that I shouldn't try skipping past the 'You are a criminal, we know you are, so stop copying our movies' message on the DVDs.

Couple of years ago I got up at 3 a.m. (don't ask) and found my garage door open. Very scary. To make a long story short - after just about giving up and calling the garage door people I picked up one of my remote controls and the garage door opened before I pushed any buttons. Watched it for hours and occasionally, at random times, the door would either open or close, seemingly of its own volition. I replaced the control and that ended the problem.

Hi Margaret- If you cannot find the manual, one way to fix this is to look at the make and model, then google the manufacturer for possible instrux. Another way is to go to a harware store or a Lowes and get a replacement opener kit for that model. All the instructions will be in the kit. I had to do this when our last opener got smashed. A locksmith told me years ago that there are electronic contraptions that criminals use to cycle thru zillions of code combinations for garage doors, and they can get into most doors !

I work from my home office. Just now, within a span of about 5 minutes, my garage door opened. Looked around and saw nothing. This happened about a week ago, too, but only once.

If anyone knows how to reset the code or has other suggestions about this issue and would share them, I would be most grateful.

Margaret,

Our two garage doors have a lock on each of them that my Wife and I make sure are locked down when we are in the house. Check that on yours.

Wayne