ATX Community

"I appreciate all you've done for me in the past."

Yardley CPA

Long time client (a school teacher) who I've worked with for almost 15 years. Received a fax from her yesterday indicating that she decided to go to a "local accountant as he works with many of the teachers in the district. I appreciate all you've done for m in the past." A little surprised to receive this as we always had a terrific professional relationship. I guess some clients just feel the time is right to move on at some point. I emailed her and wished her well. A part of me would love to know why she felt the need to move on....but so be it.

Guest Taxed

In my younger days I used to take it personaly when a client with whom I thought I had a great professional relationship quit without prior notice, like your situation. Then as i got older I found out that for every 1 I lost I gained 3 in referrals. I stopped worring about someone quitting without notice. May be they found someone cheaper? who knows because they did not bother to tell me why they quit. All I know is that I did the best job I could and if that was not good enough, perhaps they should move on. I am NOt losing any sleep over it at my age now.

I was at a marketing seminar a few years back and they were talking about doing client satisfaction feedback survey etc. I looked at a sample document and I think it had like 20 questions. Yeah right, the guy just quit and he is going to answer 20 questions???

I have had some former clients come back to me after a few years. i guess grass is not always greener on the other side! Or if it is green initially it may turn into hay soon!!

When people leave an existing good relationship to go to another preparer who handles a bunch of people from the same location/profession, sometimes it is because this new preparer promises better refunds and is probably padding certain categories, especially on the bottom of the schedule A. I find this is common among the bus drivers and police officers in our area. And it isn't all too surprising that these returns get submitted as self prepared....

• Like 1

Keep in mind, every time you gain a new client, someone is losing an old client.

Sometimes people just want a fresh approach.

Good chances she'll be back next year....meanwhile, don't take it personally.

I have acquired 60+ new clients from a local preparer that has retired after 48 years. Probably will be over 100 before season ends.

When people leave an existing good relationship to go to another preparer who handles a bunch of people from the same location/profession, sometimes it is because this new preparer promises better refunds and is probably padding certain categories, especially on the bottom of the schedule A. I find this is common among the bus drivers and police officers in our area. And it isn't all too surprising that these returns get submitted as self prepared....

Most likely This^^^^

Send her a letter in June, and ask if you two can chat, and look over her return for free.

After 20 years... I've been hired, I've been fired. I get hired more, so that works good.

Rich

>>he works with many of the teachers in the district<<

Some preparers on this forum also focus on a particular market niche. They learn all the obscure rulings and audit procedures that apply, and provide very good service at low price within that niche. If you don't care to compete with that business model, don't stress about it. Remember the salesman's mantra of 3SW--some will, some won't, so what?

Guest Taxed

No one bats 100%. If any of you had a sales background especially direct selling (insurance, cars etc.) you would have developed a thick skin by now. If you dwell on it too long after losing a client, analyze what went wrong, what could you have done more, soon you will lose your sanity! I know it hurts a bit but bounce back right away and you will be glad you did!

Actually, I think it shows her respect for you that she told you she was leaving. We get so busy during the tax season that we don't always notice who did not come back until late April when reviewing the year. That is when I get bummed. No idea why the left, they are just gone. At least you know she is leaving and she told you where she went. That is more than some of us get.

Tom

Hollister, CA

Sometimes a client wanders off and tries Turbo Tax, or another preparer... I find it isn't long before the return. Sadder but hopefully wiser! They usually apologize for leaving when they call and ask if they can come back. I always welcome them... they usually learn their lesson and are back to stay.

Taxtrio

And you didn't even have to buy his practice! Double score!

He listed me and 3 other preparers he interviewed in his farewell letter to his clients. I offered to purchase his practice, but he said he just wanted to refer his people to qualified tax accountants.

I will send him a percentage of the new business I have developed as a thank you gift when season is over. He had been a preparer for 48 years and decided he was done.

• Like 2