ATX Community

8949 detail for sch D

grandmabee

>>I would like for it to be automagically added when I add a Schedule D<<

Maybe you should check out different programs. Instead of forms, some software offers worksheet mode for data entry. Of course, that has shortcomings too. Some programs let you enter data both ways.

Guest Taxed

Not paying attention to Sch D carryforward losses will bite you everytime! That is one area i spend a lot of time before an appointment when I review the prior year. I learned it the hard way because in MA long term capital losses can not be written off partially against ordinary income so the MA sch D and Fed Sch D is always out of sync. Real pain but one has to be carefull otherwise the taxpayer loses out.

• Like 1

>>my 8949's do not rollover from 2011<<

Why would you expect Form 8949 to carry forward? Absolutely nothing on it applies to the next year..

Well Schedule B rolls over if I had it last year in the return and it also has "Absolutely nothing on it applies to the next year.."

I was just noting with all the slowness of ATX it would be nice if D rolled over so would 8949.

• Like 2

Last year the 8949 was located at the bottom of the sch D... was not a separate form in ATX... now they made it a "separate" form on the menu listing... So we are all having to add it back in. I thought it was more convenient at the bottom of the Sch D.

It's like an extention of the sch d anyway. Should have left it the same as 2011, like a lot of other stuff.

• Like 1

Well Schedule B rolls over if I had it last year in the return and it also has "Absolutely nothing on it applies to the next year.."

The Schedule B rollover makes sense since many of those repeat every year. Most people have their money in the bank for more than a year, hold securities for more than a year, etc. Makes for a good checklist. This is not the case for sale of securities.

• Like 1

The Schedule B rollover makes sense since many of those repeat every year. Most people have their money in the bank for more than a year, hold securities for more than a year, etc. Makes for a good checklist. This is not the case for sale of securities.

ok then don't roll over the D unless there is a carryover on it.