ATX Community

And so it begins

jshtax

Holy SLOWNESS. This a long process. Have 1300 files and it has done 231 in 10hrs.

So that is an average of 3 minutes a return. I would say that is within the range when I converted from other software previously.

You are right. I prefer to do the conversions in small batches or individually. Doing a bulk conversion of all your clients hogs the computer for a long long time and if you have one error halfway through, sometimes it hangs and then you have to figure out which return caused the problem. I had a bad experience when I was using Taxworks with conversions erroring out and hanging the computer.

• Like 1

For the last couple of years now, I only transfer clients that I am going to work with, about two years ago I received a call from a former client that he needed a copy of his extension because of a notice he received, the last time we had prepared a return was 2-3 years before that.

• Like 2

For the last couple of years now, I only transfer clients that I am going to work with, about two years ago I received a call from a former client that he needed a copy of his extension because of a notice he received, the last time we had prepared a return was 2-3 years before that.

With ATX there is no way to know what file is what person

Got my conversions back from ProSeries and have pulled two returns into 2013. Don't see any problems so far. I just do 1040's and they didn't say they had any problems converting the files. As the clients come in I will check more fully.

August @ ADG Financial.com

Ken-watch out for depreciation methods and lives, carry over of last years state refunds and overpayments and opening retained earnings on all entities. Also it converts payers in atx that you might not have had for years so you might think you are missing current bank accts when you aren't

Not true.

If it is not true, then explain. These kind of holier than thou comments are not helpful and have a tendency to incite. I agree with jshtax, when I look at the ATX database in the formsets formset folder all I see is folders with jumbled numbers and letters. The files inside that folder lends no further identification. Is there a way to identify which client owns which file?

Not true.

How can one tell what file " 3eb582a67fad4b5480ed0343fed61f80" is? Sure it can be the only file in system and figured out that way.

If it is not true, then explain. These kind of holier than thou comments are not helpful and have a tendency to incite. I agree with jshtax, when I look at the ATX database in the formsets formset folder all I see is folders with jumbled numbers and letters. The files inside that folder lends no further identification. Is there a way to identify which client owns which file?

My thoughts exactly.

You can call ATX support and ask what the client file naming convention is.

I did that with Taxworks once when I had a corrupted file during transfer and it was a combination of the ss# of the primary taxpayer, 4 characters from last name and return type. Once you know how they name the files it is easy to locate using explorer.

Each client is assigned a specific number. There is a 3 key step to find that number while in a return. Then that number identifies the file.

Call tech support and ask. I will not post the keystrokes, but have used it hundreds of times in the past 11 years of using ATX.

"Holier than thou" should have been... "More informed than most choose to be."

I am curious how the entire formset folder works as I removed all but 10 files from the program went back and modified a return but none of the 10 folders showed their date being modified.

Each client is assigned a specific number. There is a 3 key step to find that number while in a return. Then that number identifies the file.

Call tech support and ask. I will not post the keystrokes, but have used it hundreds of times in the past 11 years of using ATX.

"Holier than thou" should have been... "More informed than most choose to be."

jshtax, I've sent you a PM concerning the conversion of files to Drake. Also, here is something else that may help you and others too.

It is not necessary to open each return and perform keystrokes to find out the file names. The complete list of all the backup files that includes the client's name can be found in this directory: C:ProgramDataCCH Small Firm ServicesATX2012BackupFormset.

Note that the above is a different path than the following one that only contains the lettered/numbered file name: C:ProgramDataCCH Small Firm ServicesATX2012FormsetsFormset. Other than including the clients' names, the remaining letters and numbers of the file name are the same in both sets of files.

• Like 1

I thought this forum was to help each other on software, tax and technical issues.

Why use statements like ""Holier than thou" should have been... "More informed than most choose to be." to put someone else down who is looking for little help.

In my opinion that kind of behavior is immature!

I thought this forum was to help each other on software, tax and technical issues.

Why use statements like ""Holier than thou" should have been... "More informed than most choose to be." to put someone else down who is looking for little help.

In my opinion that kind of behavior is immature!

So "Holier than thou" is not?

So "Holier than thou" is not?

Yes, statements of that nature are unacceptable.

I do have to say though that when someone participates in a public forum and repeatedly posts responses of a nature that basically say "I know something that others don't, but I'm not going to provide helpful information", then others might begin to question the motivation for that person's continuing to make posts such as those.

• Like 1

I have been issued a warning due to a comment I made to one of Jack's comments. I hereby express my deepest apologies to Jack since it has been determined that I was out of line. That said, I made a comment a month or so ago that I was through with this forum and in a weaker moment I came back to it. So, since I am not the least bit interested in dealing with some of this absolutely incredibly immature postings, I am hereby officially through with this forum. Period! I have nothing else to gain from or to give to it. I will miss most of you, but I will from this time on share with much more professional forums than this. I sincerely wish you all the best of luck now and in the future.

Good bye!

Now if the moderator who issued me a warning while stating total agreement with my posting will PM how to remove myself from this forum, it will be totally done.

Good bye!

rfassett, I can assure you that I got a whole bunch of warnings because of my heavy participation in the Politics forum. I too like you have been frustrated when I thought I did not deserve a warning because of the heat of the political argument where words that were not acceptable to a moderator was used.

Setting aside the immature comments, if you feel that you gained any knowledge from the posts that are not immature, I would request you to stay on. If a particular poster's posts bother you, then block that poster. I know I have been blocked by a few who disagree with my political positions.

At the end it is your decision, but I feel the more open dialogue we have in this forum, the better it is.

...if you feel that you gained any knowledge from the posts that are not immature, I would request you to stay on. If a particular poster's posts bother you, then block that poster. I know I have been blocked by a few who disagree with my political positions.

At the end it is your decision, but I feel the more open dialogue we have in this forum, the better it is.

Rfassett, I agree that you bring a wealth of experience and knowledge, and I hope that you will reconsider. Each of us brings our unique experiences to any forum that we participate in, if we are willing to share our knowledge with others.

The block function can be a wonderful feature.

It is not necessary to open each return and perform keystrokes to find out the file names. The complete list of all the backup files that includes the client's name can be found in this directory: C:ProgramDataCCH Small Firm ServicesATX2012BackupFormset.

Note that the above is a different path than the following one that only contains the lettered/numbered file name: C:ProgramDataCCH Small Firm ServicesATX2012FormsetsFormset. Other than including the clients' names, the remaining letters and numbers of the file name are the same in both sets of files.

Thanks Judy!!

• Like 1