ATX Community

And so it begins

jshtax

They must have found some glitch in the conversion program. I think it is better to wait and get the conversion right if you are going to switch to Drake. Drake will not release the Drake 2013 until early Dec.

ProSystems fx converted mine with several issues. I had instructions to convert them on my own but could not find my tax files database. I contacted ProSystems fx and they gave me additional instructions and I found the database but it would not populate in the conversion program. They remotely took over and tried several things that did not work but never gave up. The programmers got involved and it was learned that the database would not populate in the conversion file because of some "bad" ATX files (which did not affect the underlying tax returns). They resolved that and they were able to then convert all but five (mine) that I had password protected. We will get that fixed today. I am ready to begin working on organizers.

Drake has pulled their 2012 ATX conversion. I had a feeling companies would have issues converting ATX files for 2012. I guess that is one way to retain customers.....screw your system up so bad no one else can touch it.

I'm sitting over in the corner being quiet.....

If you have something to add positive or negative feel free to chime in. I just see other companies having a difficult time creating a conversion when the software company itself does not understand what it has done.

I am under a very tight and restrictive NDA.

tried some corp conversions and it is not a complete mess except for the other deductions. Just trying to have a game plan in place is the 2013 release is a disaster.

You have 2 months to sort things out by doing a bunch of test cases based on your business practice.

No software conversion will convert carry-forward.

Depreciation will usually convert at about 99% accuracy. I have checked with 6 different software companies and received the same information about carry-forward.

With that being said all you can hope for is the client name and address come over. Biggest issue I've seen is the "other deduction" it just puts expenses where ever it wants. You aren't filing 2012 in new software so I suppose it doesn't matter.

You have 2 months to sort things out by doing a bunch of test cases based on your business practice.

I fear this is the mindset of many of the tax software companies as well. The reality, not all of us are sitting on our thumbs for the next two months waiting for tax season to begin. My practice for example, is a year round practice with tax season being just a blip in the schedule. We do not have the luxury of taking the next "2 months to sort things out". And none of us should have to.

• Like 2

I fear this is the mindset of many of the tax software companies as well. The reality, not all of us are sitting on our thumbs for the next two months waiting for tax season to begin. My practice for example, is a year round practice with tax season being just a blip in the schedule. We do not have the luxury of taking the next "2 months to sort things out". And none of us should have to.

Correct. That is why I said based on your practice. Many of us have over 1000 clients and others less than 300. I am in the latter category. But the point I was making is that since ATX conversion is now available you can convert some clients and see if Drake suits your purpose.