"The Time has come," the Tax pro said,

"To talk of many things:

Of Wages, Tips, and Interest,

Of Donations of Rings,

And why the business profits not,

And whither taxes' stings."

(With apologies to Lewis Carroll)

• Like 4

If a client that worked as a server in a restaurant said he/she had no tips, then I would say, "Then you have no refund." Why would you work there for just the half minimum wage they pay?

I would then probably excuse them as a client. If they deliberately lied about tips, what other faulty information have they been giving me?

• Like 1

I never had one claim zero tips, in fact I'd have been insulted if someone told me that. However, I sometimes suspected that they were a bit light on their totals. However, after they realized, as was normally true in my area, that they got a larger refund with more tips, the numbers got more reasonable in future years.

I did have one person claim very low tips one year -- and in that instance, it made sense. Client worked at a restaurant but was assigned to the drinks/soda/shakes prep area, there was a counter with two stools there that were rarely used. Drinks person also got paid minimum wage because the assumption was no tips at all there. But that was a rare, special case. And some tips were indeed claimed.

So, has this topic now gotten hijacked? It started out as a twist on a poem and is now a discussion about tips, restaurants, and clients with honesty issues?

:dunno: