ATX Community

Back Up folder size issue WARNING

Jack from Ohio

Joe, In order to find the files you have unhide the files because Carbonite won't backup hidden files.

However running ATX with unhidden files may be problematic. You may have to change to a different backup.

Hopefully some else that knows more about this than I do will post.

Also, there are several different threads about this problem on the ATX Board.

Must be the case that most of the people with issues have them corrected. Only 3 people took me up on my offer on Saturday. I was able to provide some good assistance to those folks.

Unless I get an unexpected break in my schedule, that much time to assist will probably not be available till May.

I will try to help on here as much as possible.

Just did my first backup with the new program. It takes up 753 mb on my flash drive. I have 40 returns on the program this year.

Last years backup of 211 returns took up 253 mb.

Time to backup was approx. 20 minutes.

Seems to be good to go. Just a little time consuming. I assume as I backup to the device now, I won't have as many returns, payers, and rates to backup for the first time, so it will go faster.

Tom

Hollister, CA

I spoke too soon earlier when I said I didn't see this problem. Seems that my backup file was hidden. Anyway, I only had about 7 returns and it took 3.3gb. I updated program yesterday. Not sure how it's working now. I'm wondering if I copy existing backup to flashdrive, delete the backup on HD and then redo backup in the new updated program, it will use less space for already existing returns. Just thought I'd ask for comments before trying it.

Jack:

Simple question about this problem.

I downloaded the new patch yesterday. But I only have 20+ clients in ATX2013 right now. If they worked on that backup problem, with the next hidden backup that ATX does delete the "extra" bigger files that used to exist? Or does that data become an "orphan" and is never used? My HD has lots of space, and I am not concerned, but if things were tight, then it could be an issue.

Would a DeFrag clean some of it out?

Rich

I spoke too soon earlier when I said I didn't see this problem. Seems that my backup file was hidden. Anyway, I only had about 7 returns and it took 3.3gb. I updated program yesterday. Not sure how it's working now. I'm wondering if I copy existing backup to flashdrive, delete the backup on HD and then redo backup in the new updated program, it will use less space for already existing returns. Just thought I'd ask for comments before trying it.

DO NOT DELETE THE "HIDDEN" BACKUP FILE. Leave it alone. The program update is supposed to clean out the unneeded data in the backup file.

Jack:

Simple question about this problem.

I downloaded the new patch yesterday. But I only have 20+ clients in ATX2013 right now. If they worked on that backup problem, with the next hidden backup that ATX does delete the "extra" bigger files that used to exist? Or does that data become an "orphan" and is never used? My HD has lots of space, and I am not concerned, but if things were tight, then it could be an issue.

Would a DeFrag clean some of it out?

Rich

What "patch" are you referring to?