ATX Community

Back Up folder size issue WARNING

Jack from Ohio

Why can't users disable the automatic backup feature and use the "export" feature instead to make sure that data isn't lost? At least do that on a temporary basis until ATX sends through the program update to fix this issue.

You cannot disable the automatic backup feature that is causing the problem. Trust me. 2013 is NOTHING like previous years.

Let me know how that works for you. This is an entirely different backup the program creates. This one cannot be disabled, and runs in the background as long as the computer is on.

TRUST ME!!! Too indepth to try to explain on here. When your C drive starts getting full, remember what I am saying.

I trust you as I don't think you have any reason to lie to me. I was just saying that under the preferences it gives the option to disable automatic backup. Now if there is some other backup running then there is no reason for them to allow a user to disable the automatic backup process.

I'm not sure how close they are to a fix. I'm no programmer but it seems like there must be some kind of replication loop going on for it to take up that much space. It seems a client backup file would only take about 2000 kb per version with up to 5 versions or so backed up at any time.

Jack, will the update fix the problem or do we need you work around in addition to up date?

Contact me again. I have a workaround that will work until the update comes out. If you are having hard drive space issues, you need to use the workaround until the update comes out. I have no information about when the update will happen.

Several members have asked me to send them the workaround. I have tried in vain to send e-mails with the .exe file needed to initiate the fix. E-mail programs and providers do NOT allow .exe files to be emailed any more.

Those that wish for my help, please contact me again and I will arrange a time to connect to your system and transfer the file.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Oh, I did try converting to a .zip file, but had the same results. Seems that every hacker/spammer in the world can send me e-mails with .zip files attached, but e-mail providers won't let my emails through to legitimate recipients.

Rant over!!

Jack, what is the name of that folder so we can watch. My it guy on the original problem just put in bigger hd. Gots lot of room now.

No need to watch it. It will grow every hour as long as the computer that is acting as server, or your standalone computer is turned on. You will not have lots of room soon. The more clients in your program, the larger the file that is added every hour. Note my previous post about a workaround.

Here is updated info....

I am working on setting up an ftp portal on my server to allow persons to download the repair program. I will be available at home Saturday, Feb. 1, 2014 to assist folks. I can remotely connect to your system and perform the necessary repairs, and leave instructions how to keep working the repair until the program update is issued.

Anyone needing my help, please PM me. Tomorrow will be all "ATX users repair day" and my client work starts in earnest on Monday.

Let me know.

• Like 2

I am here ready to assist. I am sending e-mails to those that have contacted me. Send me a PM if you want me to clean the problem for you.

This WILL be fixed in the update scheduled for Thursday, Feb. 6, 2014, but if you are having issues, I can help you through it.

For anyone seeking help, today will be the last day I will be able to devote a lot of time to this. Starting tomorrow, it is all tax returns and clients.