ATX Community

I blew an E-F

TAG

Yes, you can amend before April 15th. This is a very stupid rule but after April 15th, you cannot amend.

This is what I do, I prepare the efile file to make sure everything is in order. Then, I print the returns, then I resave the return and that will make the efile invalid. After they sign, I go back and recreate the efile file. I have made mistakes in the past that require amending, so I have learned my lesson.

A mistake like yours should be shared with your clients immediately because one of them will get the check at his/her address.

Yes, you can amend before April 15th. This is a very stupid rule but after April 15th, you cannot amend.

This is what I do, I prepare the efile file to make sure everything is in order. Then, I print the returns, then I resave the return and that will make the efile invalid. After they sign, I go back and recreate the efile file. I have made mistakes in the past that require amending, so I have learned my lesson.

A mistake like yours should be shared with your clients immediately because one of them will get the check at his/her address.

I stand corrected as to amending prior to 4/15

You are correct. As mentioned earlier, I hope your client's are on speaking terms. Really no harm done as they will probably get a higher refund or greater reduced tax due.

But you (and I) assume that they aren't in the middle of a nasty divorce....or that the data was entered for both parties.

This is my biggest tax nightmare...incorrectly e-filing.

MFS saves them $ 2,256 because of Ohio's stupid tax laws. They are married and like each other and are good clients. I will tell them the facts: 1. I'm having major trouble seeing; 2. I'm using a new tax software program-Drake; and I really didn't look as closely as I should have when I E-F'd.; I'm 66; been doing this since I was 21 and my body is falling apart. It's getting to the point where I need to be put out to pasture.

Terry

Just a question because I have an Ohio client who got married in 2013.

Is it because of the state....and under what circumstances?

My client works...spouse is a stay at home dad...maybe with a tiny pension.

If there is a large difference in income, the MFS is not beneficial.

A rule of thumb for Ohio Residents: If the difference in the two incomes is 20% or less, there is a good chance that MFS may help.

However, if the couple is eligible for Education Credits, Earned Income or Childcare Credits, the benefits are way overshadowed by the losses on the Federal return.

In your circumstance, it probably will not benefit them.