ATX Community

Shouldn't my client receive a 1099R?

NECPA in NEBRASKA

My client rolled over her 401K into an IRA at a bank in 2012. In 2013, she took out the entire amount and rolled it into another one at a different bank. The bank told her that she would not receive a 1099R because she switched institutions. this makes no sense to me. I thought that she would get a 1099R with a code G or something. She has been to the bank twice and they keep giving her the same answer. She thinks I'm crazy, but I would rather deal with this now and not down the road.

Thanks!

• Like 1

I have a client who just brought hers in this evening. The original ones were incorrectly coded and they said they sent her the new ones as electronic transfers. She said she had not signed up for electronic banking and wanted them by Friday or she was going to the BBB. She came in with 1099's in hand and correctly coded. One was a rollover of a traditional and the other was a rollover of a Roth. I was really surprised that she was able to get the paper, but would not have been comfortable without it.

Silence is golden.

I think when you change institutions, they must give you a document with code G if it a transfer. Code 1 if they send the money to the client. In any event, ask your client to find out more about that and then document what they tell him and file. If you want to be extra careful, request a transcript from the IRS in September and amend if needed.

My client got the Code 1 even though she never touched the money. She came in last night with the Code G 1099's. However, they are not marked "corrected"; so may trigger a CP in the future. In any case, she would be a good person to send out for collections because I have never seen a client able to get a changed 1099 that fast; if ever.

The 1099R instructions say "Generally, do not report a transfer between trustees or issuers that involves no payment or distribution of funds to the participant, including a trustee-to-trustee transfer from one IRA to another IRA,". I'm pretty sure I've seen 1099Rs in this situation in the past, but Fidelity told a client that they are not issuing them now.

• Like 2