ATX Community

My options if prior CPA will not disclose username password

I have a situation that I have never encountered before.

I have a new accounting client and I have to file his sales tax electronically with New York State but prior CPA will not release me client's username/password that he has created with the New York State Tax Department because he says that he has not been paid for some of the work that he has done for this client.

My problem is client does not know the user name so I cannot even go and setup new password for him.

Can he legally do that?

What are my options here?

thanks

Naveen Mohan

I have a new accounting client and I have to file his sales tax electronically with New York State but prior CPA will not release me client's username/password that he has created with the New York State Tax Department because he says that he ha snot been paid for some of the work that he has done for this client.

My problem is client does not know the use name so I cannot even go and setup new password for him.

What are my options here?

thanks

Naveen Mohan

I have a tax professional account on NY Online, and then I attach my sales tax clients to that account and can pay their sales tax from my account. You just need them to fill out an EZ-2000 (I think) authorizing you.

Rule 501 is the applicable rule, and my reading of it is that he can ask for payment first.

01 Rule 501—Acts discreditable A member shall not commit an act discreditable to the profession.
[As adopted January 12, 1988.]

Interpretations under Rule 501—Acts Discreditable

.02 501-1—Response to requests by clients and former clients for records

Terminology

Client records prepared by the member are accounting or other records (for example, tax returns, general ledgers, subsidiary journals, and
supporting schedules such as detailed employee payroll records and depreciation schedules) that the member was engaged to prepare for
the client.

Interpretation

When a client or former client (client) makes a request for client-provided records, client records prepared by the member, or supporting records that are
in the custody or control of the member or the member's firm (member) that have not previously been provided to the client, the member should respond to
the client's request as follows:

• Client provided records in the member's custody or control should be returned to the client.
Client records prepared by the member should be provided to the client, except that client records prepared by the member may be withheld if the preparation of such records is not complete or there are fees due the member for the engagement to prepare those records.

• Supporting records relating to a completed and issued work product should be provided to the client, except that such supporting records may be withheld if there are fees due to the member for the specific work product.