ATX Community

Client shows up with incomplete information

jshtax

We do appointments every 2 hours and when clients come in with incomplete data we try to squeeze them back in as the information comes in. Going forward I feel like telling these people if you do not have 100% of your info do not waste my time and we will extend you. In the past we never did this not wanting to run people off but now I no longer feel like being their bitch and want to change. Anyone else operate like this?

I tell them we are going to extend them even when they DO have everything at this late date. So extending someone who doesn't have everything with them is absolutely no problem - just a a part of the routine. In most cases, I don't want to hear from them until well after Apr 15.

This is one of the reasons I don't think I could handle doing returns while the client is there. I started one last night, the guy said when he dropped off (on the 18th), "I think everything is there," which is the most common parting shot I hear, and frequently incorrect, but for this couple, practically NOTHING was there. No SSA-1099's, no medical expense (and they have a TON), no contributions (and they give).

I called and left a detailed message about what they usually have, but you don't know what you don't know. It's a slog with clients like this. I can't get mad at these folks; they are elderly and not in good health. But returns like this DRAIN you.

• Like 4

I don't like working on returns piecemeal. It's a perfect recipe for making a mistake or missing something, is inefficient, and overall wastes time because then I go over the original data again on review to make sure everything is input. If I know things are missing, I don't work on that return unless I have all of the information. Having followup questions is different than those clients that want to bring most data so to get the process started. I need to be efficient and won't work like that.

• Like 7

I have very few clients who are NOT missing information. I keep running notes on my WIP spreadsheet and send off one long email with questions. What ticks me off is the people who go through the list, answer one question, and then think they're done. Sorry, kids, when I send a bulleted list of questions, I need an answer to ALL of them.

• Like 5

I don't like working on returns piecemeal. It's a perfect recipe for making a mistake or missing something, is inefficient, and overall wastes time because then I go over the original data again on review to make sure everything is input. If I know things are missing, I don't work on that return unless I have all of the information. Having followup questions is different than those clients that want to bring most data so to get the process started. I need to be efficient and won't work like that.

Oh...I hear you

I could go on about a new client I wish was never referred to me.

To top it off .....she's an attorney ....so she thinks we are writing the constitution. If I knew her occupation before I started...I never would have started.

• Like 2

I go over the stuff if I have an in person appointment & will send them home with a list. My assistant does initial keying of the return and then it goes into the queue. I pick up returns in the order they come in & review, ask any additional questions at that time (usually by email) and then the return is put in the 'waiting for additional stuff' pile. As I get in the stuff, I finish the return. I've got a list at the front of any return of the stuff I need, so I can just glance at the list & check off stuff as it comes in.

Oh...I hear you

I could go on about a new client I wish was never referred to me.

To top it off .....she's an attorney ....so she thinks we are writing the constitution. If I knew her occupation before I started...I never would have started.

Actually, the Constitution is remarkably short and succinct.

What you probably mean is that she thinks you are writing one of today's mega-tome bills that you have to pass to find out what's in them. :P:wall:

• Like 3