ATX Community

Every. Year.

RitaB

Every year, right about now, I get the real smart people, a week after they signed 8879 and left it with me, reading the letter and tearing off their copy of 8879, COMING BACK IN, and giving it to me. I'm going to have to edit the letter to say:

Please review the enclosed copy, then sign the IRS e-file Signature Authorization Form 8879 and return it to me. When I receive the signed authorization, I will e-file your return. You signed it and left it with me on ______________. I swear you did. Don't sign your copy. Keep it.

Seriously, I can't get over this one. It happens three or four times a year. In April. Sometimes the same people who did it last year.

• Like 4

I provide one copy with the pdf I send for client review. They don't get a second copy unless, of course, they print two. I had to edit my email instructions with the pdf to state, in bold, in capital letters to send ONLY Form 88879 (and sometimes another check box). I am so weary of the bank info page coming back or printed page 2 of 1040 (with CLIENT COPY plastered all over it) signed and dated. Only a week, only a week, only a week.....

• Like 3

You're welcome, Rita, for the expression used. It really does fit, doesn't it?

I have one client -- intelligent woman, otherwise -- who plays STUPID every year about every aspect of her taxes - until she gets her review copy, at which point she has (WRONG!!) suggestions for a dozen or three items. So then she needs placating and explanations. Then she goes back to bone-stupid with signature pages. Instructions from me clearly state SIGN AND DATE the signature forms and return them to me for e-filing. So this year she does that, PLUS sends back the signature pages of her federal and 2 state returns, signed, "in case I need those too" along with some other garbage that was completely unnecessary.

What did she NOT send -- payment. (That came separately, a day or two later, WITH of course a copy of my bill as if I don't know what the bleeping money is for or what I charged her!)

:wall: whimper

:wall: Whimper

• Like 8

I am so tired that nothing is funny. When it gets to be this time of night, my hand and the mouse don't agree with each other. And, of course, this is the stage when you call a client and nobody is home so you have to move on to another one and then forget what you were doing on the last one. We are such a silly bunch.

• Like 6